Whether your morning coffee is your wake-up call, something to get you through the day, or your lifeblood, there is a lot to understand before you can decide on the right machine. It won’t help you if your coffee doesn’t brew fast enough, or if you don’t get all the features you’re looking for in coffee maker.
If you appreciate a nice cup of hot coffee and are looking to invest in a good piece of machine that will save you all the trips to the local cafe, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll share the top 10 best coffee makers of the year, each of which will help you get a simple at-home brew without all the fuss.
Table of Contents
- Different Types of Coffee Makers
- Single Cup Coffee Makers
- Drip Coffee Makers
- Cappuccino and Espresso
- French Press
- Beans or Grounds?
- Benefits of Owning A Coffee Maker
- Easy Cleaning
- Factors To Consider With The Best Coffee Makers
- Household Size
- Type Of Beans
- Convenience and Ease of Use
- Counter Space
- Extra Features
- How To Look After Your Coffee Maker
- More Tips For Choosing Your Coffee Maker
- 1. Nespresso GCA1-US-CH-NE VertuoLine Espresso Maker
- 2. Black & Decker DCM600B 5-Cup Coffeemaker
- 3. Mr Coffee Coffee Makers 4-Cup Programmable Machine
- 4. Bonavita BV1900TS 8-Cup Carafe Brewer
- 5. Keurig K55 Single Serve Programmable K-Cup Pod
- 6. Hamilton Beach 49980A Single Serve Coffee Brewer
- 7. Keurig K475 Single Serve Programmable K- Cup Pod with 12 oz brew size and temperature control
- 8. Cuisinart DCC-3200 14-Cup Glass Carafe with Stainless Steel Handle Programmable Coffeemaker
- 9. Cuisinart Keurig Coffee Maker CHW-12 Programmable Coffeemaker
- 10. Ninja Glass Carafe System (CF091)
Different Types of Coffee Makers
If you truly love your brew, then you probably know that picking out the flavor of coffee you want can be an excruciating task. Do you think that picking out the coffee maker is any easier? Certainly not!
Single Cup Coffee Makers
You don’t actually have to brew an entire pot, especially if you’re the only one drinking it. With single cup makers, the only thing you have to do is to grab your cup and use single serve brewing mode. All you have to do is place the pod in and get started. This type of machine is quick and perfect for 1-2 people.
Drip Coffee Makers
This type is the one most people own and use. All you do is drop the pot underneath and set the timer for the automatic brewing of your choice. With this coffeemaker, you can actually set it to brew before you even wake up. Imagine that, waking up and not having to wait for your coffee to brew or even brew it by yourself. What more could you ask for?
Cappuccino and Espresso
If you like Euro-chic taste, or maybe you like something more ‘’traditional’’ or if you like just a little bit more flavor in your cup, then try cappuccinos and espressos. There are a few different types of them, and every one brews your coffee differently:
- The pump espresso makers use coils to flash hot water and create crema
- Semi-automatic kinds turn the heat off automatically when the boiler temperature changes.
- Try a super automatic maker, which makes you a cup of deliciousness with just one press
Now that we have talked about several types of machines that do the job of brewing all by themselves, let’s talk about something completely different. If you like to have things under control, you can try this type of maker. If you’ve got the time and you like to make your own coffee, you can brew the coffee with your very own hands.
It’s simple, without plugs, outlets, or electricity needed. Just keep in mind that making it this way is better if you are making it just for yourself or a guest. This method is not as suitable for guests or entire families because it can take quite some time. Nonetheless, if you like to drink delicious brews and you don’t mind making it yourself, then a French press might be the perfect choice for you.
Percolators brew by constantly cycling the boiling water through the grounds with the help of gravity. Basically, it’s the pot catches the falling hot water and it only takes a few minutes. It’s great for strong coffee or dark roasts and is the type of machine that’s table-top ready.
This type of coffeemaker was once extremely popular, but automatic drip makers pushed it from the top. Despite that, percolator machines are still popular throughout the world. The main trait of it is that the smell of the brewing in a percolator is divine.
Beans or Grounds?
Brewing latte or Americano can be quite frustrating and time-consuming. And most of the time it doesn’t taste good enough to enjoy it fully. If you wish to enjoy a latte without going through a lot of hassle then a bean to cup machine is the perfect choice for you.
Bean to cup machines will automatically froth the milk for you, or you can do it yourself. Whether you want an Americano or Cappuccino, this machine can do it. The only thing you need to do is put the whole grains in the coffee maker and the machine will grind it and brew you a fresh and tasty cup of coffee.
If you are worried about spending your money on filters, you will be glad to hear that this type of maker doesn’t require a filter, but you will need to put more time and effort into cleaning. It’s a small price to pay when you think about it. If you’re using grounds in a drip or filter maker, water simply drips through to get you your coffee quickly.
Benefits of Owning A Coffee Maker
Why in the world should you buy a coffee maker when you can just pick up a cup from the café in morning? There are actually quite a few reasons. You don’t have to be a genius to figure out how much money you waste every year on buying coffee-to-go in different cafes that tend to overcharge their customers. The math is actually quite simple. Besides the money, let’s talk about all the other benefits you can enjoy if you decide to treat yourself with a brand-new coffee maker.
All you have to do is add coffee and water for a great cup in a few minutes. There are no lines and no annoyances. There are no strangers around you. You won’t receive a cup with a misspelled name written on the side, you won’t even have to leave your home to enjoy a perfect cup.
If you’re running late for work, you won’t have to worry about not being able to pick up your coffee on the way. On a lazy weekend, you won’t have to muster the strength to get out of the comfort of your home to go out just to get a freshly brewed cup.
If you think you don’t need a coffee maker because you travel a lot, think again! Another great feature coffee makers have to offer is the portability. You can easily take your machine if you are going on a business trip or on a holiday where you can start your day with a fresh cup.
With so many choices of flavors out there, you can actually mix and match them to get one just for you! Many shops can’t do that as efficiently. If you have a machine with its own grinder, you can even roast your own beans for a fresher taste. You can be your own personal barista. This way, you and your family can enjoy tasty coffee every day.
As mentioned, you will actually save money if you decide to get yourself a coffee maker. You can even look at it as a long-term investment to help you cut out the coffee expenses. Just having one of your own cuts your costs over time since those cups you buy do add up, and the quality of your brew doesn’t suffer either.
Clean your machine with ease instead of messing around too much. Add a little water and cycle it through a few times with white vinegar. Those machines that have filters are even easier to replace and clean.
Making your own coffee is fun, not to mention the fact that you’re sure to get a good cup every time you brew it. You can make it exactly the way you want. Don’t be afraid if you don’t get it right on the first try. It usually takes some time to adjust to the coffee maker. You will be able to brew world-class product in no time and be sure that it will be there for you each morning. Grinding machines also provide you with a more refined flavor that brings out the beans.
For those of you who love the taste of grounded coffee but don’t always want to do it yourself, get a machine with its own grinding mechanism. They’re convenient and make your brew with just a few pushes of buttons. On top of that, you can determine the strength of your brew.
Factors To Consider With The Best Coffee Makers
Although it’s hard to pick the best coffee maker, you can try to narrow down your choices by a few different factors. Bear in mind that everybody likes a different type so you’ll need to know which maker will suit your needs and satisfy your standards. Let’s talk about the things you need to pay attention to before you decide to go for a specific type of machine.
If you have a lot of people in your house that are drinking coffee, single cup brewers will be more of an annoyance than a blessing. You will wake up every morning, having to make multiple cups or wait for your turn!
Try a drip type machine if you have a high number of drinkers if your home. However, if you are the only person who drinks it in your home, the single cup maker might be a better option for you then. You can make smaller cups with drip machines too, so don’t choose one based on the size of your household only.
Type Of Beans
Ultimately, you’ve got to be sure that your coffee maker is capable of making the type of product you want. If you really prefer sweeter cappuccinos, make sure you get a machine capable of that. If you like stronger brews, a percolator may be a better choice for you. This is probably the most important thing to keep in mind when choosing and buying a coffee maker.
How much should you pay for a coffee maker? As always, you’d want to keep an eye on the price tag. Don’t spend way above your budget on a machine up front. However, don’t buy one just because it is cheap either. When it comes to kitchen equipment, we definitely wouldn’t recommend buying an appliance that is suspiciously cheap which will probably turn out to be unreliable.
You don’t have to shell out a small fortune when buying one either. But try to find a quality product at the most affordable price. Cutting corners and trying to save some money by buying cheap will leave you with a malfunctioning coffee maker sooner than later.
Convenience and Ease of Use
Avoid coffee machines that are too complicated to use or even set up. Anything that’s too hard to figure out or that takes too much time won’t get your day started off right. You can even get the types that are set on a timer to start before you wake up. So, go for one that is easy to use and will actually help make your mornings a lot more pleasant.
Adding another kitchen appliance on your countertop means size is an important factor to consider. We already have microwaves, toasters, dish racks and so on. You need to have enough room for an extra machine on your countertop. If you lack countertop space and instead, find yourself having to plug it out and put it away every time you wish to drink a cup, it will be a huge inconvenience. Consider the size of the one that you’re looking at and make sure that it will fit on your countertop nicely.
There are various extra features available that you might want to think about. Depending on how you like your coffee, these may be useful:
- Programmable settings are set in advance to what you like while being automated for future use
- Built in grinders give you fresh taste while still being convenient
- Automatic power-off ensures there’s never an issue if you forget to turn it off
- Multiple warmers keep the coffee hot, this is great feature if there are more coffee drinkers in household or at the work
- Water filters make sure the flavors come out right each time
- Steamers and frothers make the popular fancy drinks most people will like (such as cappuccinos or espressos)
How To Look After Your Coffee Maker
Each of these machine types has its own do’s and don’ts. That means that there are some things you can do in order to extend the lifespan of your coffeemaker.
- Single Cups need to be cleaned regularly, even if you don’t need to do it daily. Descale every 3 months to get rid of calcium deposits or scale on the inside, strengthening its performance. Make sure that you take good care of your device so you will get to enjoy fresh coffee every morning!
- Drip Makers should be cleaned daily, so rinse the carafe daily and empty any used grounds
- Cappuccino and espresso makers should be turned off whenever you’re finished and will have some lag time in between brewing
- French presses need to have the plunger and carafe rinsed daily, and should be thoroughly cleaned often
- Percolators must be rinsed daily and also cleaned often. Remove from the heat source when you’re done brewing, and switch it off whenever you’re done
More Tips For Choosing Your Coffee Maker
You’ve looked at tons of devices so far and have had a lot to think about. Just before you run out to grab the best machine you can find, there are just a few more tips we’ve got for you. Ultimately, be sure to get one that makes the coffee you like. Your drip machine won’t make cappuccinos if that’s your preferred drink.
Think about the heating too and how quickly each of the devices is capable of brewing. Also, keep in mind about the additional features some of these machines have to offer such as automatic power-off and how easy it is to clean them after every use. Any good coffee maker should have 15-19 bar pressure and Thermo block to heat the water perfectly. Look at milk frothers and the valves in order to see which features will work the best for you.
You should feel a lot more well informed now about all the different coffee makers as well as the different types and features available on the market. Here, we’re sharing with you the top 10 best coffee makers that made our list. If you’re unsure of where to start your search, start with any one right here!
1. Nespresso GCA1-US-CH-NE VertuoLine Espresso Maker
Nespresso VertuoLine is a new system offering freshly brewed cup with cream as well as delicious, authentic Espresso. The machine conveniently makes two cup sizes, 8 oz. Coffee and 1.35 oz. espresso, at the touch of a button. It uses two different capsule sizes: large capsule for Coffee and a small one for Espresso.
Works with Centrifusion, a patented extraction technology developed by Nespresso. When activated, the capsule spins up to 7,000 rotations per minute, blending ground coffee with water. The machine delivers the optimal in-cup results for each blend using capsule-specific brewing with barcode reading.
- Great espresso within just seconds
- Gives you two cup sizes, 8 oz. coffee and 1.35 oz. espresso
- Easy to use. Simply press one button and the machine does the rest
- Relatively small and won’t take up much of your kitchen space
- Provides nice crema and flavor for your cup
- Really easy to clean with the pod that ejects automatically and the milk frother that can be cleaned separately
- Very durable and well made
- A bit pricey when compared to other models
- Fewer capsule varieties to choose from compared with other machines
- Ordering pods can be an inconvenience
2. Black & Decker DCM600B 5-Cup Coffeemaker
With a compact design and handy cord storage, this coffeemaker is a great value for small spaces such as apartments, condos and around the office. Comes with the capacity to brew 5 cups of coffee without the need to refill and with a one-touch operation and a nonstick ‘Keep Hot’ plate, so you can have hot coffee anytime without a hassle.
- Has a DuraLife glass carafe with markings for water level
- Simple and really easy to use
- Sturdy handle with a reinforced glass for long lasting durability
- Removable water filter basket that is easy to clean
- Gives you an optimal brewing temperature with an easy switch on the side to control it
- Comes with a timer
- Comes with a handy cord storage feature
- Only for espresso brews
3. Mr Coffee Coffee Makers 4-Cup Programmable Machine
This coffee machine offers a classic functionality that makes brewing simple and easy. The Mr. Coffee Simple Brew programmable coffee maker can be set ahead of time with the Delay Brew function. The Grab-A-Cup Auto Pause feature also helps when you need a cup before the brew cycle is finished. Comes with a one-hour shut-off function and a removable filter basket for easy cleaning.
- Convenient and easy to use
- Very simple way of operating
- Comes at a really affordable price
- Comes with a handy Grab-A-Cup Auto Pause option
- Can be set ahead of time with the Delay Brew function
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Very well made and durable
- Small tank
- Coffee isn’t hot enough
The Bonavita 8 Cup Glass Carafe Brewer comes with a precise 1500-Watt heating system that releases and maintains water at the optimal brewing temperature of 198° to 205° F (92° – 96°C) throughout the brewing process. The optional pre-infusion mode wets fresh grounds before brewing for better flavor in every pot and an audible signal alerts user when coffee is ready.
The machine offers an auto shut-off after 40 minutes. The flat-bottomed filter basket and larger showerhead allow for even better saturation and uniform extraction.
- Simple controls and really easy to use
- Brews at ideal temperature
- Optional pre-soaking
- The thermal carafe keeps coffee warm for two hours
- Well made with a sturdy construction
- High-powered 1500-watt heater
- Short brewing time
- Simple one-touch brewing
- SCAA Certified
- No-spill thermal carafe (stainless steel interior)
- Lacks a hot plate
- Not programmable: No delayed timer or clock
- Temperature not adjustable
5. Keurig K55 Single Serve Programmable K-Cup Pod
The Keurig K55 is popular for a good reason – it never fails to brew a rich, smooth, and delicious cup. It’s easy to use with the simple touch buttons that make your brewing experience stress-free, and multiple K-Cup pod brew sizes that help to ensure you get your perfect cup. The 48oz water reservoir lets you brew 6+ cups before having to refill.
- Easy to use, maintain and clean
- Ability to make the beverage fast
- Large water reservoir for more than 6 cups before refilling
- Can be used to make coffee, tea, hot chocolate and several other hot and cold beverages
- Offers multiple brew sizes
- Comes with an auto-off feature
- Works with a QuietBrew technology for a quieter performance
- Compact and lightweight
- Reasonably priced
- Comes equipped with filters
- First cup speed is a bit slow
- A bit pricey
6. Hamilton Beach 49980A Single Serve Coffee Brewer
This low-maintenance coffeemaker can brew a basic or premium roast in no time. This model comes with stainless steel durability and an abundance of brewing options, the 2-Way Brewer doubles as a compact single-serve coffeemaker for everyday personal enjoyment and a full 12-cup pot machine. This is a compact model that comes with a 12-cup glass carafe and a brew strength selector for brewing regular or bold flavors.
- You can use both soft pods or ground coffee
- You can make coffee for one cup or for a crowd (12 cups)
- Quick brew time
- Brewed coffee is very hot
- Easy to use and clean – dishwasher safe
- Shuts off automatically
- Comes with a travel mug included
- You can easily switch from carafe to single serve and back (with separate reservoirs)
- You can program up to 24 hours ahead
- It has 4 drawers that enable brewing from K-cups to pods
- Heats water quickly
- Needs cleaning of both inside and outside parts separately
- You’ll need to experiment in order to find the right strength of coffee for you
7. Keurig K475 Single Serve Programmable K- Cup Pod with 12 oz brew size and temperature control
This Keurig model comes with a strength control setting for a bolder brew, five temperature settings, and multiple K-Cup, K-Mug, and K-Carafe pod brew sizes. It has a built-in easy-to-use large color touch screen with a digital clock that you can use to program your brewer to turn on or off at set times. The 70 oz water reservoir allows you to brew more than 8 cups before having to refill. It also dispenses hot water, which adds to its versatility.
- Offers great and varied customization options
- Comes with the option to create and save preferred brew settings
- You can program the brewer to turn on or off at set times
- The temperature control adjustment settings come with a five-degree threshold
- Strength control can make a slightly stronger brew when necessary
- Large 70 oz water reservoir
- Versatile: Aside from brewing coffee, it also dispenses hot water
- You can’t pause a brew
- The auto-brew option only works with the K-Carafe brew settings
8. Cuisinart DCC-3200 14-Cup Glass Carafe with Stainless Steel Handle Programmable Coffeemaker
Another amazing Cuisinart model. The DCC-3200 works with an advanced heat technology that keeps coffee at the ideal temperature, saving it from becoming bitter. The built-in brew strength control allows you to select regular or bold flavor.
It’s fully automatic and comes with a really handy 24-hour programmability. It’s easy to take care of with the self-clean system, the easy to use 1 to 4 cup setting and the auto-shut off option. It also comes with the option to adjust temperature, pause brewing and a built-in charcoal filter.
- Advanced heat technology keeps coffee at the ideal temperature
- Strength control with two brew strengths
- High-capacity water reservoir
- Adjustable temperature control
- Easy to use
- Easy to maintain with the self-clean option
- Programmable for 24-hours in advance
- Three warming plate settings
- The auto shut-off option can be adjusted by 0-4 hours
- Sleek stainless steel design
- Intuitive and easy to use control panel
- Comes with a built-in carbon water filter
- A loud alarm (can be turned off) lets you know your coffee is done
- Might be a problem for small kitchens since it’s really tall
- The water reservoir is not easy to fill
9. Cuisinart Keurig Coffee Maker CHW-12 Programmable Coffeemaker
This is a 12-cup coffee maker Keurig have upgraded with a drip-free pour spout and a comfortable handle. It’s fully Automatic with auto-on and auto shutoff, self-clean function and 1-4 cup setting. The temperature control offers a heater plate with High, Medium and Low settings.
The handy Brew Pause™ feature lets you enjoy a cup before the brewing cycle has finished. The removable drip tray leaves plenty of room for using with travel mugs. It comes with a separate hot water system with its own power button and 54-ounce water reservoir. The charcoal water filter removes impurities that can alter the taste of your beverage.
Look out for a Keurig coffee maker sale online by checking out the links here.
- Pretty quick brew time
- Comes with a separate hot water system that can work individually or at the same time
- Dispenses coffee directly into a cup
- Easy-to-read LCD display
- Nice design, good looks
- Comes with a digital clock
- Comes with a handy brew pause feature
- Adjustable brewing temperature
- Removable drip tray lets you use it with taller mugs and tumblers
- Can reach high temperatures – brewed coffee is very hot
- Shuts off automatically
- It’s easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Great for coffee but also great for boiling water for tea, soups, oatmeal
- Comes with a safety lock on the bottom
- A bit pricey
- Controls can be tricky to use
- Produces loud noise when working
- The water reservoir is hard to fill
10. Ninja Glass Carafe System (CF091)
The next-generation Ninja Coffee Bar is a single serve and glass carafe system complete with a built-in frother with hot and cold frothing capabilities. This machine also comes with the Ninja XL Hot & Cold Multi-Serve Tumbler for hot or iced coffee. Pod-free single serve and carafe brewing allows you to achieve unlimited variety and personal customization of your favorite drinks. This coffee machine offers you the freedom to use any type of bean and to adjust the number of grounds used.
- Offers 4 brew sizes: Cup, XL Cup, Travel Mug, XL-Multi-serve
- Flexible: No pods required, you can use any coffee ground
- Built-in milk frother with cold or hot froth options
- Easy to use dial control and push button for customizing your coffee
- The drip stop option saves you from mess
- Clean cycle feature is convenient
- Comes equipped with a recipe book of great coffee options
- Comes with a Ninja XL Hot & Cold Multi-Serve Tumbler
- Removable water reservoir and lid, which are dishwasher safe
- Permanent micro-filter basket does not require a paper filter
- Programmable brewing cycles for delayed start
- Pretty bulky – might be a problem for those with smaller kitchens
- The machine works at very high temperature which can result in bitter coffee
A good coffee machine will save you a ton of time and money and naturally, you should be really picky when deciding on one. Not all machines are made equal and this means you can easily decide on the wrong one. Do your research before purchasing so you’ll know which ones will suit your needs better. Even if you don’t go for a really cheap Keurig coffee maker, you don’t have to break the bank either.
You deserve a high-quality hot brew in the morning to help you wake up and get your day running and that can only be done by a well-made coffee machine that fits your needs perfectly. If you’re at a loss of where to start in your search, start with any ones of the top 10 in our list and you’ll be on the right track!
Do share with us in the comments!