Keeping a neat hedge is very much like maintaining a stylish haircut. To keep it in mint condition requires constant clipping, trimming and ‘styling’, basic landscaping stuff. However, keeping your hedge looking fresh at all times also requires machinery and equipment that makes it convenient and fun for you to do so. This is where your clippers and shears come in. These ingenious tools make it easy for you to keep your hedge neat and beautiful. In this article, we’ll share our list of the best rated hedge clippers and shears for you to choose from this year.
Table of Contents
- 3 Types of Hedge Clippers
- Electric Hedge Trimmer
- Cordless Trimmers
- Gas Powered Hedge Trimmers
- Maintenance Notes
- Safety Features to Look Out For
- 10. ARS 28- to 41-1/2-Inch Hedge Shears HS-K900Z
- 9. Fiskars 23 Inch PowerGear Hedge Shears
- 8. Telescoping 22” Hedge Clippers
- 7. ARS HS-KR1000 Professional Hedge Shears
- 6. Fiskars 9184 18-Inch Sculpting Hedge Shear
- 5. Durevole Garden Shears
- 4. Flexrake FLX427 Forged 8-3/4-Inch Serrated Hedge Shear
- 3. APEX PRODUCTS G1312 Basic Hedge Shear
- 2. Corona HS 4244 ComfortGEL+ Hedge Shear
- 1. Centurion 207 8-Inch Hedge Garden Shear
3 Types of Hedge Clippers
There is just one main detail you need to know when buying a hedge trimmer – you can buy a single-action blade trimmer or a double-action trimmer. Single-action trimmers use only one blade which rotates while dual-action trimmers utilize two blades that move back and forth.
Electric Hedge Trimmer
These trimmers are budget friendly and they weigh up to 10 pounds which make them light and easy to use. This trimmer is ideal for small gardening projects. Just pay attention to the electric cable when trimming your hedge.
This type of trimmer is pretty much the same as the electric hedge trimmer except it doesn’t have a cable. Instead, this trimmer is powered by a battery which makes it less powerful than the classic electric trimmer. It is obviously more convenient and portable though. Just be prepared to regularly charge this type of trimmer.
Gas Powered Hedge Trimmers
This type of trimmer if by far the most powerful and loudest one. This trimmer doesn’t require any electricity since it is powered by regular gas. If there are some hedges or bushes with strong, thick branches, gas powered hedge trimmer is the best solution.
There is not much to do when it comes to maintaining trimmers. Once a year, you should sharpen the blades and make sure that you regularly change gas and oil if you have gas-powered hedge trimmer.
Safety Features to Look Out For
Safety is imperative when operating gardening equipment such as the hedge trimmers. There are a couple of things you should pay attention to if you don’t wish to hurt yourself.
- Front-handle Shields prevent you from cutting your hand on a blade
- Dual Switch requires both hands on trimmer to operate
- Tooth Extension prevent your legs and other body parts from coming into contact with the blades
- Cut Power models which halt the trimmer as soon as the trigger is released
With its long blades, this pair of hedge shears is the perfect tool to use on difficult to reach areas in overgrown trees and shrubs. You will find this hedge shears really easy to use with its hard-chrome plated blades that allow for higher cutting strength.
- The shears extend thrice to cater for different heights whether short or tall
- The blades will last you for years to come as they’re rust and sap resistant
- The super sharp blades cut right the first time
- It’s really lightweight and easy to use- superb for an all-day trimming spree
- Unfortunately this version of the shear doesn’t come with replaceable blades.
- It’s a bit pricey but well worth the extra couple bucks
With a modern and sleek design, these shears won the 2012 Arthritis Foundation Ease of Use Award. Features include a Power Gear design mechanism that amplifies your cutting force, making it easy to use even for non-professionals.
- The blades work great for trimming hedges and shrubs
- These come with a lifetime warranty so you can return them if you come across any problems with the product, although it’ highly unlikely
- It’s so easy to use that it’s the most recommended shears for people with arthritis and other physical ailments
- The blades tend to blunt pretty easily so you might have to file them down often
- These are definitely not for all day use as the pivot pin tends to get tired over time and may even come out if used for too long.
These are some special shears, made from carbon steel, makes for easy gripping and efficient cutting. Other features include extendable clippers to reach tall shrubs and the manufacturers are so confident about the quality of this product that they offer a 100% cash-back lifetime warranty.
- These are professional grade shears with super sharp blades for easy cutting and sturdy hedge clippers to cut through both leaves and twigs
- The carbon steel ensures that they won’t rust
- Lightweight and really easy to grip
These hedge shears are another professional grade offering from ARS and they come with some really cool features like replaceable blades, easy to use handles and great quality blades that last for years.
- The replaceable blades are a really great and unique feature
- They earn extra brownie points for the super durable blades
- Great for cutting hedges, leaves and flowers
- Easy to use and lightweight
- These don’t work so well on twigs and such. It’s better to just use them on less woody plants
- These are quite pricey but a great lifetime investment
These mid-range shears are really easy to use and great for beginners. Features include non-slip grip handles, 7” blades with a lifetime warranty and a really lightweight feel. With its precision ground blades and non-stick blade coating, this pair of hedge shear is great value for money.
- The blades have a non-stick coating for protection against rusting
- The non-stick feature on the blades also makes for ease of cutting as it repels sap and other fine debris from the blades
- Fiskars is one of the most prestigious companies used by professionals so these come with a lifetime warranty as well
- Perfect for cutting smaller plants and shrubs
- They don’t work well on woodier hedges so it’s best to have them for smaller more pliable plants
Snip away at those cute little shrubs at your backyard with these lightweight shears with these good quality, heavy duty bypass pruning shears. Covered in rubber coating for the handles for ease of use, you can easily adjust the pressure between the two blades with its toggle and bypass feature.
- The pack comes with a set of two and at a really affordable price
- The rubber handles make these really easy to grip
- Perfect for precise trimming and pruning of smaller plants
- The sharp blades work on the leaves as well as the stems of plants
- The blades tend to rust over time so watch out for that
Don’t let the traditional design of these shears fool you, these come with some pretty cutting edge features. Like super sharp 21” blades, a shock absorbing bumper for those woody plants and the blades are easy to re-sharpen for continued use.
- Can cut through just about anything, thick or thin branches, twigs, leaves – no problem!
- Great value for money
- These come with a lifetime warranty and promise to last you for decades
- The blades are easy to re-sharpen and are made to last for a very long time
- These are heavy duty and heavy weight not so easy to handle for non-professionals
- Doesn’t work well on smaller trees and shrubs
These are made for ease of use with workable handles and wavy edged blades and a TPR grip all made from good quality materials. It also comes with a three year warranty for peace of mind.
- Great value for money
- Easy to grip handles
- Wavy edged blades for flexibility of movement-get into all those hard-to-reach areas
- Comes with a three year warranty
- The blades tend to blunt quite easily and require frequent sharpening
- Not ideal for larger shrubs and hedges, mostly works on smaller tree branches
Corona has a proven track record when it comes to providing quality landscaping products, and these shears are no exception. The professional grade clippers make cutting through the woodiest branches a breeze.
- Comes with shock guard bumper system for less hassle on the arms
- Comfortable handles for easy gripping and smooth trimming
- Perfect for heavy duty pruning and trimming
- This is a pricier model in the heavy duty range
- The blades may need frequent sharpening over the years
This pair of garden shears is made from hardened carbon steel, which make for better more durable quality. This shear also comes with a cushioned bumper for ease of use and comfortable handles.
- Really easy to use and comfortable on the arms
- The blades do a great job of cutting through thick and difficult branches and shrubs
- The blades are also super durable and made from carbon steel
- The blades are unable to keep up with prolonged use
- They’re also quite heavy so definitely not the best tool to use if you’re planning an all day hedge trim-down
With such a comprehensive list of some of the best shears on the market, you’re sure to find one that’s suitable for your needs. Whether you’re pruning branches off your Bonsai or doing some heavy duty trimming and hedge shaping, there’s a tool for every job, to satisfy pros and beginners alike. Here’s to proper landscaping and having a great looking hedge this summer.
Do share with us in the comments!