You can’t say that your tool kit is complete before adding the perfect drill. If you can’t make up your mind, then you have come to the right place. On this page, you will find out what features should be important to you. And then you can look at the top 10 models available for different users.
The first thing you should consider is how often you will need to use your new tool and what you will use it for. This will dictate the type of machine you need to invest in. Your choice will be very much influenced if you plan to use it several times a day or year.
The very basic rule is that the more powerful a drill is – the more versatile it is (and more expensive). But if you need a tool for your new DIY project, you probably don’t have to spend a fortune for the most powerful one on the market. You will do just as well with a 650 watt one.
On the other hand, if you need a drill that you will use more frequently (at least a few times a week), then you might want to consider a more powerful model. In this article, we compile the best drills you can get this year, and there is one suitable for everyone’s needs and budget.
To make it easier for you to find the information you need, just use the navigation list. It will help jump right to where you think the most relevant info will be.
Table of Contents
- Best Power Drill For Advanced Users
- Best Power Drill For Home Use
- Top 10 Best Power Drills
- 1. Porter-Cable PC600D 6.5Amp Variable Speed Drill
- 2. Hitachi DS18DSAL 18-Volt Lithium Ion Compact Pro Driver Drill with Flashlight and Drill And Drive Bit Set, 120-Piece
- 3. Dewalt DCD771C2 20V MAX Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 inch Compact Kit
- 4. Bosch DDB181-02 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Compact Tough Drill/Driver Kit with 2 Batteries, Charger and Contractor Bag
- 5. DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit
- 6. Black & Decker LD120VA 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver with 30 Accessories
- 7. Makita XPH102 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2″ Hammer Driver-Drill Kit (3.0Ah)
- 8. Black & Decker SS-12 12v Cordless Drill/Driver Tool
- 9. Ryobi RPD800-K Percussion Drill, 500 W
- 10. Black & Decker PD600 Pivot Plus 6-Volt Nicad Cordless Screwdriver with Articulating Head
- Best Power Drill Brand
- Power Drill Accessories
- 5 Uses For Power Drills
- Drilling Little Holes
- Use Your Power Drill To Drive Different Things
- Great Mixer
- Sort Out Wires
Best Power Drill For Advanced Users
If you do a lot of DIY jobs or have a hobby that is drilling intense then you don’t want to go for something cheap. When it comes to power tools, you get what you pay for.
The cheaper devices will work perfectly fine. But only for a while. Their motors and batteries are designed for easy use. When they are put to hard work for many hours, you will wear out the engine and mechanics.
It can last a few months. Maybe even a year. But the smaller and cheaper models are not designed to put up with heavy use. If you are going to be using the drill a lot then you would be best served with DeWalt models in our list below. Check out the details, as they come packed with features and some great additional accessories.
Even if they cost a bit more you gain some with the accessories that are included.
Best Power Drill For Home Use
For basic home use, you don’t need to get the latest and greatest power tool. The most powerful devices out there will be total overkill. In many cases, they will even be quite a burden for smaller DIY and hobby jobs.
If you are just sick of using a screw driver and you have some new furniture to put together, then first item on the list here is more than enough. But if you plan to drill into pretty much any material then just go for an entry level device.
Such devices will not allow you build a new roof or take up some advanced carpentry. But for small jobs around the house they will be more than enough. Still, it’s best to stay away from the really cheap stuff. They do have a tendency to not be up to some simple jobs.
Top 10 Best Power Drills
1. Porter-Cable PC600D 6.5Amp Variable Speed Drill
Featuring a sleek, sturdy design, this variable drill boasts a strong 6.0 motor which will tackle many tasks you have. Its lock-on button helps you to control it more easily especially during prolonged usage. This variable drill is best for drilling and driving.
It is basic, but also cheap. And if you just need something for very occasional use then this is a really good option. Picture flat pack furniture arriving and facing hundreds of screws. This tool will save you hours’ worth of work.
- Lightweight yet sturdy and strong
- Three year limited warranty
- 6 amp motor
- Lock-on button so you can have better control
- One year free service
- The chuck can be improved
- The power cord is a little short
2. Hitachi DS18DSAL 18-Volt Lithium Ion Compact Pro Driver Drill with Flashlight and Drill And Drive Bit Set, 120-Piece
The tool offers 460 in/lbs of torque to power through the toughest jobs with ease. The Lithium Ion slide batteries improve ergonomics and balance while extending run time and the 1/2″ ratcheting keyless chuck accepts a wide range of bits that can be changed out quickly and easily.
The drill comes with a variable speed trigger and 2-speed motor for maximum control and precision during use and a built-in LED job light that illuminates the work surface and is ideal in dark work spaces.
Of all the products on this list this one has the most accessories. It comes with a separate flash light and pretty good bit set. This includes a total of 120 bits and drivers, so most jobs will be more than covered.
- Great torque for heavy duty uses
- Very high quality drill will not break down easily
- Comes with two batteries and a charger
- Battery life is very good
- Easy to use
- Great blend of all-around performance
- Variable speed trigger
- 2-speed motor
- The LED doesn’t really help
3. Dewalt DCD771C2 20V MAX Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 inch Compact Kit
The DCD771C2 20V Max Lithium Ion Compact Drill/Driver Kit is lightweight and compact for working in tight spaces for long periods of time. Its ergonomic handle delivers comfort and control.
The high-speed transmission delivers 2-Speed variations allowing users to choose the level of performance needed for various applications. The high-performance motor in this model delivers 300 unit watts out (UWO) of power ability. This is not the most powerful, but great for general use.
It is also one of the best-selling products on Amazon with exceptionally good customer reviews. At the mid-range budget, it provides professional features to the hobby user.
- Compact, lightweight design fits into tight areas
- High speed transmission delivers two speeds
- 1/2″ single sleeve ratcheting chuck
- Amazing torque output
- Really reliable tool
- Very good batteries
- A bit heavy
4. Bosch DDB181-02 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Compact Tough Drill/Driver Kit with 2 Batteries, Charger and Contractor Bag
The Bosch DDB181-02 18-Volt Compact 1/2-Inch Drill/Driver is an ideal solution for pros who need professional power in a compact package. With its two-speed transmission and 20+1 clutch settings, it is optimized for driving and drilling applications. It is a lightweight tool that is handy for overhead applications.
The drill/driver provides electronic cell protection to help increase the life of the two included 18V SlimPack batteries. This will do pretty much all jobs around the house, but is probably a bit small for commercial use. But it does have it’s uses for small jobs or where you need a light weight model for touch to reach places.
- Well designed, based on professional models
- Powerful enough for most materials
- Lightweight to get into tough places
- Works for tight spaces
- High torque and speed
- LED light so you can see what you are doing
- 2 speed transmission
- Good charging station
- Not good battery life
- Battery takes long to recharge
5. DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit
This 18-volt drill-driver kit packs a big punch in a small package, with a powerful high-performance motor tucked away inside a compact design. This tool is ideal for drilling and fastening with a variety of materials such as wood, metal, and plastic for applications like framing, cabinet installation, and HVAC work.
This kit is a great foundation for any professional contractor or DIY-er’s power-tool collection. The great thing is that there is a second battery included. With a fast charge time you can be working while the other battery is charging.
With DeWalt being one of the leading makers of power tools, this is really a good buy. It is reasonably priced so it’s a great option as a main drilling tool for home use. Or it can be a good backup one for professionals.
- Constructed to minimize user fatigue
- Dual speed range for best precision
- Includes two batteries, so less chance of downtime
- One hour charger, so you won’t be waiting long
- Includes double ended screwdriver bit
- Compact size fits into the tightest conditions
- Lightweight design (5.2 pounds)
- The variable speed trigger switch is cheaply made
- Not a commercial grade tool
- Not many accessories included.
6. Black & Decker LD120VA 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver with 30 Accessories
This affordable Black & Decker model is ideal for drilling through or screwing in wood, metal, and plastic. Its soft-grip handle provides added comfort during use. The lithium-ion battery holds a charge for up to 18 months.
It comes with 30 accessories that include drilling and screw driving bits, nut drivers, and magnetic bit tip holder. The kit also includes one 20-volt lithium-ion battery and a charger.
It is essentially a slightly better device than the above Black & Decker one. With the added accessories, you will be immediately good to go on some home improvements. The only thing you might want to add to your shopping cart is a backup battery. But that’s only necessary of you pan bigger jobs.
- Driver-Drill tool
- Great for DIY novices
- Works for wood, metal, and plastic
- Battery holds a charge up to 18 months so you won’t pull it off the shelf
- Comes with 30 accessories
- Easy to use
- Excellent speed control for precision work
- Not too heavy: makes it ideal for small jobs
- Great price for all the accessories
- No built-in LED
- No built-in horizontal and vertical level
7. Makita XPH102 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2″ Hammer Driver-Drill Kit (3.0Ah)
This Driver-Drill tool combines speed and torque in a compact size, with an efficient lithium-ion battery that reaches a full charge in only 30 minutes. For increased versatility, it can be run as a driver or a hammer driver-drill, and is engineered for applications in wood, metal, masonry, and concrete.
The four-pole motor delivers 480 in.lbs. of Max Torque and up to 1,900 RPM and 28,500 BPM in the high-speed setting. The drill is engineered for increased dust and water resistance and is ideal for use in harsh jobsite conditions.
At this price level you will not find a more advanced option. It is powerful enough to be used in professional construction settings. At the same time, it is compact and ideal for use on small home improvements as well.
- Driver-Drill tool
- Good power for tougher jobs
- High quality from a great brand
- Easy to use for novices
- Very well designed
- Battery charged extremely fast
- Really good battery
- Best fit for serious DIY-ers
- No magnetic screw holder on the battery
- No toggle for the light
8. Black & Decker SS-12 12v Cordless Drill/Driver Tool
This is a drill-driver tool that is easy to operate. The driver’s smart select clutch allows users to choose a project and automatically adjusts to correct power and speed for optimal results. Features a two-speed switch, 0-400/0-1200 RPM, 3/8 chuck, high or low setting indicator, high torque motor delivering 130 in-lbs., metal chuck providing durability, and a slide pack battery offering quick removal and installation.
Driver includes 12V battery, charger and a double ended screwdriver bit tip. There are not many bells and whistles and you will want to shop for some accessories. But at the entry level this is a product with a great price from one of the best brands on the market.
One accessory you might want to invest in is an additional battery. The charge time is not long, but it can be really annoying to run out of juice. Or worse, if you haven’t used in a while and then you suddenly need it. Not the best time to not have full battery power.
- Drill and driver tool in one for all types of jobs
- Variable Speed for precision work
- Well made by a leading brand
- Great battery life
- No need to remove the battery to charge
- Great for DIY-ers
- Very easy to use
- Not suitable for drilling heavy-duty holes or bolts
- The torque is not very high
9. Ryobi RPD800-K Percussion Drill, 500 W
This is a really well made, lightweight tool that runs at 500W. Great choice for DIY-ers, this drill has an automatic spindle lock so that once you release the trigger the bit will stop turning immediately and lock up. It also comes with a built-in LED bulb in the handle that points at the drill.
Priced at the mid-range market this is a really good option if you have a tight budget but want some extra features. It will stand up to most home use projects. It is not battery operated so you will need to take into account that you’ll need a power socket.
- Variable speed forward & reverse for total control
- Auto lock spindle and keyless chuck for quick changes
- Hammer mode
- Bright LED worklight
- Easy to use
- Good choice for DIY-ers
- Not suitable if you need a tool to use regularly
- Not suitable for professionals
10. Black & Decker PD600 Pivot Plus 6-Volt Nicad Cordless Screwdriver with Articulating Head
This is a measure, drill, and drive all-in-one tool. Comes with an integrated or removable 5′ tape measure for measuring small and larger areas and a dual-speed range for drilling holes in high speed and driving in low speed.
The integrated light illuminates work surfaces and the 23 position clutch prevents stripping of screws. If you just need to do some once off drilling then this will work fine. But if you have more extensive jobs to do then the battery will not last too long.
The drill has a quick release mechanism that prevents bits from coming loose and the handle locks in 3 positions. This last feature makes it ideal for tough to get at places. Some great uses are for taking apart small pieces of furniture or appliances where you might find screws in small places.
- High Quality from a trusted brand
- Cordless for extra mobility
- Lightweight and easy to hold
- 3 in 1 tool: measure, drill, and drive
- 2 speed driving operations for more precision
- Pivoting handle locks in three different positions
- Integrated LED light, so you can see in small places
- 23-position clutch
- Good choice for basic DIY jobs
- Battery will not last very long for drilling
- Limited extras
- No safety on/off switch
Best Power Drill Brand
There are so many excellent devices on the market these days. This makes it almost impossible to say which one brand is the best. So rather than narrow it down to one, it’s probably best to highlight a few.
You personal preference will have quite an influence on this. If you are familiar with a particular brand then it might make sense to stick with it. Here is a list of very popular makes:
- Black & Decker
Of course, the drill you decide on depends of your needs and budget. Our top pick is the Bosch DDB181-02. This power packed drill will serve you well in projects of different kinds and sizes with high torque and speed.
It is also extremely affordable and has received a lot of great reviews from its customers.
Power Drill Accessories
When you are placing, your order check out the accessories available. Most models will come with some basic bits and attachments. These will work great for small jobs. But if you have a specific project in mind then it makes sense to buy everything in one go.
When it comes to buying bits you have to be aware the different uses. The material they are made from is specific to the intended drilling. You will need to use a different type of bit for wood, stone and metal. So, make sure you have all options covered.
Also, not all bits are created equally. Yes, they all differ in size. But what is also important is how tough they are. If you plan to do some heavy drilling, then you need to invest a bit more. Some accessory kits are available for less than $20. These will work fine for occasional use.
But start a major DYI job with them, and you you’ll quickly find out how easy they break. And nothing is more frustrating than changing the bit every couple of hours.
5 Uses For Power Drills
Drilling Little Holes
Sure, this is an obvious one. However, if you want neat looking holes without tears, you need a set of high quality tapered bits. Some cheap twist bits that you’d find at common hardware stores or even budget stores are meant to be used at low-speed. If you want a quality finish, make sure you go for some quality bits specifically design for the material you need to drill through.
Use Your Power Drill To Drive Different Things
Most likely, your power tool will come with the stock standard flat driving bit set that you will find useful for driving things like screws or bolts. However, it is recommended to also stock up on hex drivers which can come in handy when you’re assembling things like furniture or taking apart items to repair.
Your power drill can be paired up with special mixing parts so you can mix things like paint, grout or concrete in a powerful yet consistent way. Try it once and you will probably never try to mix these things manually again.
You will certainly get a more consistent color and texture with things like concrete, mortar, paint and more.
Use a sanding drum together with your drill and you’ll be able to sand surfaces really well with less effort. This set up comes in really handy when you’re dealing with curves and arches that will require curved sanding surfaces.
Sort Out Wires
This is a little-known use but your power drill will be great for handling wires. Use your drilling tool to twist wires by placing each wire in your drill chuck and spinning it. You’ll get a really neat bunch of intertwined wires in no time. You might need to do this when you’re trying to twist cables for hanging things such as lights.
You can also use your power drill to straighten out wires and cables that are bent or curved. Put your tool on slow setting, put the wire through the hole, keep the tension tight and rotate it very slowly.
matter what your budget or intended use, there is a product that will work for you. The cheapest products are ideal as backups or for light screw driving use on furniture.
At the same time there are professional grade products that will make your life very easy. And these devices will be usable at home as well as on busy construction sites.
Do share with us in the comments!