You can’t say that your tool kit is complete before adding the perfect drill to the set. If you still can’t make up your mind, and are still not sure what the perfect drill for you is, the right place to start is by considering how often you will need to use your new tool and what you will use it for. This will dictate the type of drill you need.
The very basic rule is that the more powerful a drill is – the more versatile it is (and more expensive). But if you need a tool for your new DIY project, you probably don’t have to spend a fortune for the most powerful drill on the market, you will do just well with a 650 watt one. On the other hand, if you need a drill that you will use more frequently (at least a few times a month), then you might want to consider a more powerful model. In this article, we compile the best drills you can get this year, and there is one suitable for everyone’s needs and budget.
Table of Contents
- 5 Uses For Power Drills
- Drilling Little Holes
- Use Your Power Drill To Drive Different Things
- Great Mixer
- Sort Out Wires
- Top 10 Best Power Drills
- 10. Black & Decker PD600 Pivot Plus 6-Volt Nicad Cordless Screwdriver with Articulating Head
- 9. Ryobi RPD800-K Percussion Drill, 800 W
- 8. Black & Decker SS-12 12v Cordless Drill/Driver Tool
- 7. Makita XPH102 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2″ Hammer Driver-Drill Kit (3.0Ah)
- 6. Black & Decker LD120VA 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver with 30 Accessories
- 5. DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit
- 4. Bosch DDB181-02 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Compact Tough Drill/Driver Kit with 2 Batteries, Charger and Contractor Bag
- 3. Dewalt DCD771C2 20V MAX Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 inch Compact Drill Driver Kit
- 2. Hitachi DS18DSAL 18-Volt Lithium Ion Compact Pro Driver Drill with Flashlight and Drill And Drive Bit Set, 120-Piece
- 1. Porter-Cable PC600D 6.5Amp Variable Speed Drill
5 Uses For Power Drills
Drilling Little Holes
Sure, this is an obvious one. However, if you want neat looking holes without tears, you need a set of high quality tapered bits. Some cheap twist bits that you’d find at common hardware stores or even budget stores are meant to be used in a low-speed press. If you want a quality finish, make sure you go for some brad-point bits that are meant for wood.
Use Your Power Drill To Drive Different Things
Mostly likely, your power drill will come with the stock standard flat driving bits that you will find useful for driving things like screws or bolts. However, it is recommended to also stock up on hex drivers which can come in handy when you’re assembling things like furniture or taking apart items to repair.
Your power drill can be paired up with special mixing parts so you can mix things like paint, grout or concrete in a powerful yet consistent way. Try it once and you will probably never try to mix these things manually. You will certainly get a more consistent color and texture with things like concrete, mortar, paint and more.
Use a sanding drum together with your drill and you’ll be able to sand surfaces really well with lesser effort. This combo comes in really handy especially when you’re dealing with curves and arches that will require curved sanding surfaces.
Sort Out Wires
This is a little-known use but your power drill will be great for handling wires. Use your drill to twist wires by placing each wire in your drill chuck and spinning it. You’ll get a really neat bunch of intertwined wires in no time. You might need to do this when you’re trying to twist steel cable for hanging things such as lights.
You can also use your power drill to straighten out wires and cables that are bent or curved. Put your drill on slow setting, put the wire through the hole, keep the tension tight and rotate your drill very slowly.
Top 10 Best Power Drills
This is a measure, drill, and drive all-in-one tool. Comes with an integrated or removable 5′ tape measure for measuring small and larger areas and a dual-speed range for drilling holes in high speed and driving in low speed. The integrated light illuminates work surfaces and the 23 position clutch prevents stripping of screws. The drill has a quick release mechanism that prevents bits from coming loose and the handle locks in 3 positions for constricted locations and tight areas.
- High Quality
- Lightweight and easy to hold
- 3 in 1 tool: measure, drill, and drive
- 2 speed driving operations
- Pivoting handle locks in three different positions
- Integrated LED light
- 23-position clutch
- Good choice for DIY-ers
- It’s fairly large, so might have problems storing it
- Not suitable for working in tight spaces
- No safety on/off switch
This is a really well made, lightweight tool that runs at 800W. Great choice for DIY-ers, this drill has an automatic spindle lock so that once you release the trigger the bit will stop turning immediately and lock up. It also comes with a built-in LED bulb in the handle that points at the drill.
- Variable speed forward & reverse for total control
- Auto lock spindle and keyless chuck for quick changes
- Hammer mode
- Bright LED worklight
- Easy to use
- Good choice for DIY-ers
- Not suitable if you need a tool to use regularly
- Not suitable for professionals
This is a drill-driver tool that is easy to operate, the driver’s smart select clutch allows users to choose project drill and automatically adjusts to correct power and speed for optimal results. Features a two speed switch, 0-400/0-1200 RPM, 3/8 chuck, high or low setting indicator, high torque motor delivering 130 in-lbs., metal chuck providing durability, and a slide pack battery offering quick removal and installation. Driver includes 12V battery, charger and a double ended screwdriver bit tip.
- Drill and driver tool in one
- Variable Speed
- Well made
- Great battery life
- No need to remove the battery to charge
- Great for DIY-ers
- Very easy to use
- Not suitable for drilling heavy-duty holes or bolts
- The torque is not very high
This Driver-Drill tool combines speed and torque in a compact size, with an efficient lithium-ion battery that reaches a full charge in only 30 minutes. For increased versatility, it can be run as a driver-drill or a hammer driver-drill, and is engineered for applications in wood, metal, masonry, and concrete. The four-pole motor delivers 480 in.lbs. of Max Torque and up to 1,900 RPM and 28,500 BPM in the high-speed setting. The drill is engineered for increased dust and water resistance and is ideal for use in harsh jobsite conditions.
- Driver-Drill tool
- Good power
- High quality
- Easy to use
- Very well designed
- Battery charged extremely fast
- Really good battery
- Best fit for serious DIY-ers
- No magnetic screw holder on the battery
- No toggle for the light
This affordable Black & Decker model is ideal for drilling through or screwing in wood, metal, and plastic. Its soft-grip handle provides added comfort during use. The lithium-ion battery holds a charge for up to 18 months. It comes with 30 accessories that include drill and screwdriving bits, nut drivers, and magnetic bit tip holder. The kit also includes one 20-volt lithium-ion battery and a charger.
- Driver-Drill tool
- Great for DIY novices
- Works for wood, metal, and plastic
- Battery holds a charge up to 18 months
- Comes with 30 accessories
- Easy to use
- Excellent speed control
- Not too heavy
- Great price
- No built-in LED
- No built-in horizontal and vertical level
This 18-volt drill-driver kit packs a big punch in a small package, with a powerful high-performance motor tucked away inside a compact design. This tool is ideal for drilling and fastening with a variety of materials such as wood, metal, and plastic for applications like framing, cabinet installation, and HVAC work. This kit is a great foundation for any professional contractor or DIY-er’s power-tool collection.
- Constructed to minimize user fatigue
- Dual speed range
- Includes two batteries
- One hour charger
- Includes double ended screwdriver bit
- Compact size fits into the tightest conditions
- Lightweight design (5.2 pounds)
- The variable speed trigger switch is cheaply made
- Not a commercial grade tool
4. Bosch DDB181-02 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Compact Tough Drill/Driver Kit with 2 Batteries, Charger and Contractor Bag
The Bosch DDB181-02 18-Volt Compact 1/2-Inch Drill/Driver is an ideal solution for pros who need professional power in a compact package. With its two-speed transmission and 20+1 clutch settings, it is optimized for driving and drilling applications. It is a lightweight tool that is handy for overhead applications. The drill/driver provides electronic cell protection to help increase the life of the two included 18V SlimPack batteries.
- Well designed
- Works for tight spaces
- High torque and speed
- LED light
- 2 speed transmission
- Good charging station
- Not good battery life
- Battery takes long to recharge
- Only one battery included
The DCD771C2 20V Max Lithium Ion Compact Drill/Driver Kit is lightweight and compact for working in tight spaces for long periods of time. Its ergonomic handle delivers comfort and control. The high-speed transmission delivers 2-Speed variations allowing users to choose the level of performance needed for various applications. The high performance motor in this model delivers 300 unit watts out (UWO) of power ability
- Compact, lightweight design fits into tight areas
- High speed transmission delivers two speeds
- 1/2″ single sleeve ratcheting chuck
- Amazing torque output
- Really reliable tool
- Very good batteries
- A bit heavy
2. Hitachi DS18DSAL 18-Volt Lithium Ion Compact Pro Driver Drill with Flashlight and Drill And Drive Bit Set, 120-Piece
The tool offers 460 in/lbs of torque to power through the toughest jobs with ease. The Lithium Ion slide batteries improve ergonomics and balance while extending run time and the 1/2″ ratcheting keyless chuck accepts a wide range of bits that can be changed out quickly and easily. The drill comes with a variable speed trigger and 2-speed motor for maximum control and precision during use and a built-in LED job light that illuminates the work surface and is ideal in dark work spaces.
- Great torque
- Very high quality drill
- Comes with two batteries and a charger
- Battery life is very good
- Easy to use
- Great blend of all-around performance
- Variable speed trigger
- 2-speed motor
- The LED doesn’t really help
Featuring a sleek, sturdy design, this variable drill boasts a strong 6.0 motor which will tackle any tasks you need. Its lock-on button helps you to control it more easily especially during prolonged usage. This variable drill is best for drilling and driving.
- Lightweight yet sturdy and strong
- Three year limited warranty
- 6 amp motor
- Lock-on button so you can have better control
- One year free service
- The chuck can be improved
- The power cord is a little short
Of course, the drill you decide on depends of your needs and budget. Our top pick is the Bosch DDB181-02. This power packed drill will serve you well in projects of different kinds and sizes with high torque and speed. It is also extremely affordable and has received a lot of great reviews from its customers.
Do share with us in the comments!