Whether you’re a seasoned or a newbie woodworker, you’d find that you would need to get a reliable air powered sprayer to help give your projects the beautiful finish that they deserve. Unlike rollers, air powered sprayers can get the job done in less time. However, you have to consider whether your sprayer has the tendency to clog, overspray, or make a mess.
In this article, we’ll walk you through 10 of the best air powered sprayers to give you an insight on what you should look for in an air powered sprayer.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Air Powered Sprayers
- 10. Critter Spray Products 22032 118SG Siphon Gun
- 9. Campbell Hausfeld Easy Spray Paint Sprayer #HV2002
- 8. PORTER-CABLE PSH1 Gravity Feed Spray Gun
- 7. Fuji 3004 Q4 PRO Quiet 4-Stage HVLP Spray System
- 6. Turbinaire TSG-8993X HVLP System-3 Stage 110 CFM Variable Speed Turbine with 1 Quart Cup Gun
- 5. Wagner Power Products 220 1,600 PSI One-Speed Power Painter
- 4. PORTER-CABLE PSH2 Gravity Feed Detail Spray Gun
- 3. Wagner Power Products 315XXX 6.6 GPH Two-Speed Power Painter with Back Pack
- 2. Wagner Power Products 2900 4-Stage, 8-PSI, HVLP Sprayer with 25-foot Hose
- 1. Campbell Hausfeld EZ5000 House Painter
Top 10 Best Air Powered Sprayers
10. Critter Spray Products 22032 118SG Siphon Gun
This air powered sprayer is a spray gun kit mounted on a compressor. You will be able to get professional finishing with this siphon gun, and it’s also pretty simple to use. You only have to adjust two things: the regulation of the air supply, and the height of the liquid nozzle.
You can attach it to 16 ounce mason jars that are filled with paint, stains, lacquers, and more. You can even use jars that are not the ones that the kit comes with.
This is powered by a ¼ hp tankless compressor, comes with a sealer mason jar, sprays ½ to 2 ½ inches circular pattern, and comes with instructions for use inside the jar.
- No batteries required
- Can be used with chalk paint and other kinds of paint
- Works with any mason jar that has a small mouth
- Compressor not included, requires a minimum of 3cfm at 90 psi
- Tends to have a faulty trigger that stays depressed
- The coverage can be improved
9. Campbell Hausfeld Easy Spray Paint Sprayer #HV2002
This paint sprayer can give you both decorative and fine finishing on whatever project you’re working on. The 1 quart canister can cover up to 100 square feet and you can adjust the air flow so that the pattern of the paint comes out from ¼ to 6 inches, depending on your preference. It adjusts to round, horizontal and vertical shapes, so it would work well with just about any shape of project that you have.
It comes with an accessory kit that includes a cleaning brush, a wrench, a viscosity stick, strainer cones, and an extra needle and nozzle. There are eight possible finishes with this sprayer: latex, oil-based paint sealer, leather, confetti, fleckstone, crackle, stencil and low-overspray fine finish.
- Comes with a 15ft hose
- Compact design
- Works well for different projects
- Gives great finishes
- Viscosity stick measurement is not precise
- Cleaning up can take a while
8. PORTER-CABLE PSH1 Gravity Feed Spray Gun
If you’re looking for an air powered spray that has high pressure and low volume, this may be the right one for you. It has good coverage and lesser overspray. With its lightweight design, the fluid and spray controls can be adjusted to give you precise and your desired effect for any sort of medium. You can use it for spraying enamel, lacquers, stains, primers, or even urethane for professional looking results.
The fluid nozzle and needle are both stainless steel to remain clog-free. It’s also fast and easy to clean. The product comes with a 20 oz. plastic paint cup that you can re-use. The gun’s body is made from durable die-cast to ensure that it lasts long. It also comes with an air-adjusting gauge and valve.
- Can shoot latex, as long as you use Floetrol and water with it
- For best use with the 2.2.mm nozzle
- Would work great if you have several small pieces and areas to spray
- Clean up can take a long while
- Disassembly is required for clean up
- Its tiny jets do tend to get clogged up
7. Fuji 3004 Q4 PRO Quiet 4-Stage HVLP Spray System
This spray system has noise reduction features for a quieter but powerful operation. It can deliver around 7 psi and can be used with ease for paints and latex. It can be used for heavy duty painting projects and can deliver 20% more than 3-staged turbines. This way, your paint will thin less.
The whole system includes a turbine, a flexible 25 ft. hose, a spray gun, 1 quart cup, paint strainer, viscosity cup, a cleaning brush and the manual. This air powered spray is non-bleed, so you don’t have to worry about any paint coming out of it unless you’re pressing the trigger, and less paint build up inside the nozzle.
- Can be used with thinned oil based paints
- Spray pattern and amount can be controlled
- Runs quietly, sounds like a canister vacuum
- Hose is not standard
- Cannot be used portably as the plug gets detached from the blower unit
- Turbine can run hot and cause hose malfunction
6. Turbinaire TSG-8993X HVLP System-3 Stage 110 CFM Variable Speed Turbine with 1 Quart Cup Gun
A compressor is not needed when you use this turbine as you only need to plug it into a standard outlet for it to work. It’s perfect for woodworkers, DIY-ers, and anyone else who might have a use for it. The electricity-run turbine gives high volume, low pressure atomizing air (around 4-6 psi at 95-130 cfm).
Because of the low pressure, the coating does not bounce back from the painted surface. Thus, overspray is greatly reduced and you save up on the coating that you’re using. At the end of the day you will have a much cleaner and safer working space. It is also perfect for quick and easy clean up.
- 25 ft. hose can keep you away from most of the noise that the turbine makes
- Perfect for painting inside your home
- Gives you great finish
- Good design which is durable and easy to use
- Paint cup does not allow for ceiling painting
- Somewhat noisier than a typical vacuum cleaner
5. Wagner Power Products 220 1,600 PSI One-Speed Power Painter
This is a powerful paint sprayer that can be used with latex, stains, sealers, waterproofing materials and oil based paints. You can use this for thin or medium sized painting and staining projects at a 5.2 gph output. The output can reach up to 1,600 psi, which makes it ideal for large scale projects like fences, sheds, small houses, picnic tables and more.
The paint is sucked from the can provided or an onboard hopper, and the whole set comes with a 5ft remote suction set, a 0.8 mm round pattern tip, an extra atomizer valve, 1 quart cup, and a cleaning brush.
- Can be used with stains but you need a specialized nozzle
- Great time saver
- Large rooms can be done in a few hours with the help of this product
- Creates a huge mess if you don’t know how to properly operate it
- Clogs and wastes paint
- Cleanup can take be quite difficult and time consuming
4. PORTER-CABLE PSH2 Gravity Feed Detail Spray Gun
This spray gun works well with lacquers, enamels, stains, primers, and urethane. It’s ideal for small customized jobs and restoration projects. It has separate adjustment controls for fluid and air so you can adjust it according to what finishing effect you wish to achieve. Although it is made from durable die-cast alloy, this spray gun remains lightweight and small enough to be able to get into small and tight areas that larger sized guns could not otherwise reach. Don’t be deceived by this product’s small size, it can deliver the same amount as a full-sized gun and has a maximum pressure of 60 psi.
- Works great with a small compressor
- Quick and easy cleanup
- Well-made and durable quality
- Can get overspray on metal and outside of cup
- Gun comes with a small tip
- Not made for larger projects
3. Wagner Power Products 315XXX 6.6 GPH Two-Speed Power Painter with Back Pack
The versatility of this product works great for small to large projects, from stain work to fuller coverage. It’s a powerful painter with 6.6 gph to help you finish that paint job much quicker. It has a two speed pattern control that you can get closer for much detailed work, and even comes with its own backpack for when you have to paint up ladders or scaffolding.
The suction set gets paint or stain straight from the can via 5 ft. hose tubes. The entire product comes with a wide shot fan pattern tip, an extra atomizer valve, a cup that can hold 1 ½ quarts of paint or stain as well as a cleaning brush.
- Can be used with latex with no need for thinning
- Can be used in tight spaces
- Saves paint
- Paint needs to be thinned or else it will clog
- Can be a little noisy
2. Wagner Power Products 2900 4-Stage, 8-PSI, HVLP Sprayer with 25-foot Hose
This powerful power sprayer is popular with professional woodworker. The whole unit comes with everything you need in order to be able to use this product and start spraying. You can get huge volumes of paint at a low pressure for great coverage and control without having to worry about overspray and wasted paint. This sprayer works great for light bodied items.
It can be used with oil-based paints, latex paints, enamels, varnishes, sealers, stains, and more with efficient spraying at 89%. This is perfect for large painting projects like fences, stucco, and more. It is operated by a four stage turbine to ensure that you get the reliable performance you’re looking for.
- Clean application
- Adjustable spray patterns and fluid control
- Non bleeder
- Tip could be improved for finer spray
- Might not be as effective for woodworking
1. Campbell Hausfeld EZ5000 House Painter
This air powered sprayer is perfect for use both outside and inside your home. It can be used with either latex or oil-based paints. You can use the spray gun (included) for outdoor paint jobs, and a roller for inside jobs (sold separately). The pressure can be adjusted for better control and the product is made from a plastic housing and rubber for the hoses. The painter can draw paint from a 1 gallon or 5 gallon can.
- Allows you to quickly finish the job
- Can be primed easily with water
- Easy to fine tune to get the desired effect
- Roller attachment for indoor work sold separately
- Very little but still present overspray
- Can pose clogging
For beginners, it’s best to start out with small projects and thus smaller sprayers. On the other hand, if you’re a professional, then it’s best to get one that will provide you with as much coverage and versatility as it can. Our top pick would be the Fuji 3004 – it serves its purpose well for easy, precise spraying while being extremely effective at noise reduction. With its solid construction, you can be confident it’d last you a long time too.
Do share with us in the comments!