In many ways cats are very similar to humans. And as a cat lover you will often look at your pet’s behavior thinking just that. Just like you would provide other members of your household with some private and quiet space it makes a lot of sense to do the same for your feline.
But getting your pet its own bed and furniture is a lot more than just letting it have its own space. Besides helping to prevent your own furniture from getting scratched, proper beds and furniture can have other health benefits. They can provide your pet with better support and improve their temperament.
You will be surprised by the difference in behavior you will see.
With so many types of furniture on the market to choose from, we have compiled the top 10 best cat beds and furniture for you to consider. There are many different designs and features that all come with different prices. But on this list, you will definitely find something suitable.
Table of Contents
- 5 Kinds of Cat Beds To Choose From
- Hammock Beds
- Pillow Beds
- Nesting Beds
- Cave Beds
- Basket Beds
- Things To Consider Before Buying Your Cat Bed
- Top 10 Best Cat Bed Options
- 10. Go Pet Club: Best Cat Tree 2018
- 9. Aspen Pet Self Warming Beds
- 8. TRIXIE Pet Products Parla Scratching Post
- 7. MidWest Deluxe Bolster: Best Cat Basket
- 6. Curious Cat Cube: Best Cat Condo
- 5. Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed with Knitted Fabric
- 4. Petstages 710 Invironment Easy Life Hammock Scratcher and Rest
- 3. Ombré Swirl Dog / Cat Pet Bed
- 2. PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge
- 1. Pioneer Pet SmartCat The Ultimate Scratching Post
- Providing A Caring Environment
5 Kinds of Cat Beds To Choose From
If your cat loves perching up high and lying down in precarious positions, then a hammock bed is a great choice. With hammock beds, you can set different fun formations that you can change from time to time to keep your cat amused.
There are different types of hammock beds, some of them are standalone, some attach to furniture and some can even attach to windows. If this is the type you think is best suitable then why not go for one that gives the most flexibility.
A great solution for felines that enjoy a quick, soft escape. They look similar to a normal human pillow (soft and round), and are a great way to keep your cat from sleeping with you. If you regularly find your cat sleeping in your bed or on the couch, then this is a great option.
They’re also a great choice for cats that love attention, but on their own terms. You can place the pillow beside your couch where she will be close for company. At the same time though, your own furniture will be less likely to get destroyed.
These are loved by felines that enjoy climbing into clothing bins and closets. They’re cozy, make your pet feel protected while giving them a view of the outside world. Especially good for small cats and kittens, as it gives them an enclosed space and sense of safety.
You might find these advertised with many different names – cat houses, igloos, condos… They are a great hideout that make cats feel safe. Pets that live with big families will love these as they help to provide a space for some alone time and safe retreat.
All cats, especially those that love the extra attention, adore the fanciest of all choices: a basket bed. They’re basically a nice basket with a soft pillow inside. For extra comfort place the basket bed by the window and let your cat lay all day long and enjoy the sunbeams.
As a pet lover this type of bed will also make your life easier. They are very easy to pick up and move around. That way you can provide a resting place by a large window during the day. And at night time you can move it to warmer and cozier place.
Things To Consider Before Buying Your Cat Bed
It can be difficult choosing an ideal bed for your pet. Features, size and design are all important aspects. But there are some things to work out before you go shopping around and making a final decision. It is also possible that you will find more than one of the recommended products would solve your problem.
Here are some things to pay attention to:
Keep in mind the size of your cat and number of pets you have since they sometimes love to sleep together. Some beds are designed to only cater for kittens, while others will allow a couple of animals to share the same space.
Also, if you are looking for a kitten bed, then remember that a small one will likely need to be replaced in just a year’s time. Or maybe you plan on getting a companion in a few months or years. In that case, buying a larger bed now will pay off later.
Cats love comfortable places where they can lay down and relax. Choose one that has soft, comfortable fabric that your cat will enjoy snuggling up in. Felines also prefer small, cozy spaces so don’t get one that is too big if you have just one small cat. At the same time, the material has to be hard wearing to withstand the strain of claws and scratching.
Being warm is another thing cats love, so choose a bed with soft, high-quality material and insulation. You can also get heated beds to ensure your pet is kept comfortably warm all the time. If your house is a little bit colder at night or in winter then this is a great option to avoid having to keep the bed close to a source of heat.
If you live in a hot climate, then you have the opposite problem. Here, providing a cool environment will be important, and there is a great option on our list below (see product number 5).
Since cats leave trails of hair wherever they go, you should buy a bed that is easy to wash. Go for one that can be conveniently washed in the washing machine or one that at least has detachable parts. This way you can save yourself a lot of hassle and there is less of a chance that smells and dirt build up.
Top 10 Best Cat Bed Options
In the following list, you will find a diverse range of different types of beds and baskets. The list is designed to give you the best selection and a lot of the products complement each other. You might find yourself buying more than one to have a bit more flexibility.
There is something there for every budget and you will be pleasantly surprised with some of the prices on offer. Check out the latest offers for each product by clicking on the price check button.
This is the ultimate piece of furniture that you can get for your cat. Your pet will enjoy playing on this tree and scratching to its heart’s content. This 52-inch high beige cat tree is made of compressed wood, faux fur and sisal rope.
It’s the best choice for medium size felines, but is suitable for all sizes and can be enjoyed by more than one animal at once. It is an ideal investment if you need to provide some entertainment for longer periods. This could be at times when you are out of the house.
With this feature set up you are less likely to come home and find that your beloved pet has scratched holes into carpets and couches.
- Easy to assemble (less than 30 minutes)
- Instruction manual / nail sizes were very clear
- Strong base, so it is unlikely to topple over
- Small and cozy, just the way they like it
- Affordable for the feature size
- Not suitable for more than 2 animals at the same time
- A bit lightweight, so not recommended for many pets
- The panels are not quite big enough
9. Aspen Pet Self Warming Beds
This self-warming bed utilizes the same heat-reflecting technology found in Mylar “space blankets”. It is lined with a layer of material that generates warmth by reflecting the pets own body heat.
The bed is covered with faux lamb’s wool plush and wide wale corduroy fabric for added comfort and warmth. Each bed comes with a non-skid bottom, providing a safe and hassle-free warm bed. Great for pets of all sizes and breeds.
Because it is lightweight as well, you will find it very convenient to move to different places of your home for day and night time sleeping arrangements.
- Self-warming material reflects the pet’s own body heat
- Uses the same technology as “space blankets”
- No electricity required, so it does not pose any health risks
- Great for animals of all sizes and breeds
- Non-skid bottom
- Super cozy
- Sides can get flattened after some time
- The cushion makes a little crinkly noise that scares some cats
8. TRIXIE Pet Products Parla Scratching Post
This scratching post will provide endless opportunities for cats to play, explore, scratch or just relax. Felines can sharpen their claws on the scratching post instead of on your furniture or carpet, giving them a healthy outlet for their scratching instincts.
The post is covered in durable sisal. The plush covered base is perfect for stretching out or catching a quick catnap. The subtle neutral tones are easy to integrate into your home décor. Suitable for felines of all ages and activity levels. What most owners have found is that this becomes the preferred and only place that their pets go to scratch.
- Very large and tall, makes it suitable for animals of different sizes
- Very well constructed, so it is unlikely to fall over
- Sturdy, to withstand larger animals
- Lasts long, so you don’t have to regularly replace it
- Blends well with any home decor
- Fit for animals of all sizes and breeds
- Have to tighten the base frequently
- Post starts showing through cord in some places after some time
7. MidWest Deluxe Bolster: Best Cat Basket
QuietTime Bolstered Pet Beds offer a soothing element for any space for newborn and young kittens, as well as anxious, aging, or convalescent ones. They feature a cushioned poly/cotton base with comfortable polyester-filled bolsters, providing a pillowed place for cats to rest their head.
Durable and completely machine washable, these beds provide comfort for all seasons. It can also be easily stored away at times of day where it is less likely to be used so it won’t take up much space.
- Comfortable Polyester-Filled Bolsters
- Cushioned Poly/Cotton Base
- Completely Machine Washable
- Folds for storage
- Ideal for Use in Crates, Carriers, Vehicles
- Comfortable for larger animals
- Can sometimes leave white cotton balls around
- Not so sturdy
- Not as big as other brands
6. Curious Cat Cube: Best Cat Condo
The cushioned bed topper with stuffed bolsters is ideal for elevated lounging, while the inside offers luxurious, synthetic sheepskin bedding for a peaceful, private hideaway.
When your cat is in the mood to play, she can lay inside, play peekaboo and paw at friends through the hide and seek cut-outs, or enjoy playing with the hanging plush toys with jingle bells that hang on the outside – both providing hours of engaging fun.
If you are out of the house for many hours of the day then this is a great way to provide entertainment. You probably know what can happen when felines get bored. So avoid those consequences with this simple set up.
- Very easy to assemble
- Cozy Hideaway with Large Entry
- Soft Faux Suede & Synthetic Sheepskin
- Complements Any Home Décor
- Provides Perfect Retreat for Lounging & Play
- Good quality product
- The three bells are better fully removed, since they can accidentally hurt your cat
- The toys that come with it get easily broken
5. Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed with Knitted Fabric
This bed is perfect for cats of all sizes, breeds and weights. This elevated bed will keep your cat cool by increasing the airflow to its fur coat and keep it comfortable by reducing the pressure on its knees, hips, elbows and shoulders.
It’s available in five different colors, so you can best match it up with other furniture in your home. It also features high-quality, breathable, 100% recyclable lead- and phthalate-free fabric, which is GREENGUARD certified. This not only helps create a healthier environment for your four-legged friend, but is flea, mite, mold and mildew resistant for optimal health.
This is a particularly good choice if you live in hotter climates where providing a cool space with air circulation is ideal.
- Creates low-impact areas to pressure points and joints
- Great for all sizes and breeds
- Keeps your pet cool by increasing the airflow to its fur coat
- Portable design makes it good for both indoor and outdoor use
- Flea, mite, mold and mildew resistant
- Easy to wash and maintain
- Not suitable for really big pets
- Scratches and damages the floors
- Difficult assembly
4. Petstages 710 Invironment Easy Life Hammock Scratcher and Rest
This sturdy, basic hammock is sure to be your kitty’s favorite perch and scratching post. Corrugated material is great for scratching, and encourages felines to scratch their own furniture, not yours. Best of all, it’s infused with catnip, so your kitty will love the scent.
Because it is very light it’s easy to move around the house or even outside at different times. This gives you great flexibility and you don’t need to buy multiple pieces of furniture for different places in your home.
- “X” design folds away when not in use
- Can be used to curl up on or stretch and scratch
- Sturdy corrugate supports kitty as they rest
- Includes catnip to attract and keep kitty’s interest
- Great price for quality
- For all sizes and breeds
- Can take a while to put it together
- Instructions aren’t really clear
3. Ombré Swirl Dog / Cat Pet Bed
This bed is available in multiple sizes that are perfectly suited for almost any breed of cats. The neutral color (mocha or gray) dog / cat beds will complement any home décor and provide your pet a cozy place to rest.
All Ombré Swirl pet beds feature a “no-slip” surface on the bottom that’s perfect for hardwood or tile floors. They are machine washable and dryer safe, and they are sized to fit inside most standard pet crates, creating a comfortable and desirable location for your pet to relax.
- Ultra-Soft Polyester
- Tufted, Plush Polyfiber Cushion
- Machine Washable
- Ideal for Pet Crates, Pet Carriers, or Vehicles
- Great for home and travel
- Suitable for all sizes and breeds
- Super comfortable
- Bottom is a bit slippery
- Not really thick
2. PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge
This product serves double duty as both a cat scratcher and lounger that promises to keep your furry companion coming back for more. It is custom made for cats who enjoy scratching, playing and lounging around. Cats love the feel of cardboard, recalling their days as kittens and are natural scratchers.
Designed for owners looking to reclaim their homes, this is a pet product with a stylish design that flows with your home decor. Instead of scratching your furniture, your felines will be more than happy to scratch the less expensive and better feeling cardboard.
- Well constructed to last long
- Very sturdy
- Neutral colors look great in any room
- Excellent value
- They attract hair and are not so easy to clean
- The edges get rough from wear & tear
1. Pioneer Pet SmartCat The Ultimate Scratching Post
Cats love stretching and do so to their heart’s content on this post. Standing at 32 inches tall, this scratching post is made with fibrous and durable sisal that will withstand and even encourage your cat’s scratching.
With its sturdy base, you can be sure that this scratching post won’t tip or wobble easily. When you see the owner reviews of this, you’ll notice how many comment that their pets no longer scratch any furniture. It becomes the preferred place to sharpen claws.
- Well constructed and made with high quality materials
- Made to be sturdy with its large square base
- Encourages cats to mark their territory, exercise, stretch and scratch
- Made to be durable and long lasting
- Really fast and easy assembly
- The rope is a little hard. Some cats do have problems digging their nails in it.
- The material can sag after a while
Providing A Caring Environment
Choosing pet furniture is more than just having a place for your furry family members to sleep. It is an integral part of providing a loving home. And the more you look after your pets the more they will love you for it.
Most pet owners that invest in a few pieces of pet furniture see an immediate return in the reactions. It is like surprising a child with a new toy. But in this case, it has the added benefit of saving your own furniture from becoming damaged.
If you have the space then buying either the above cat tree or condo is going to give you the best rewards. And your cat will not just have a comfortable sleeping arrangement. They are a great way to provide for entertainment, especially for all the time you are gone out of the house. This can be for long hours that you are at work. And you can only imagine what cats will get up to if they get too bored.
With so many choices in best cat beds to keep your pet cozy, warm and entertained, you will not go wrong with any of the above choice. Just make sure your ultimate choice fits your cat’s breed, size and personality well. It is quite likely that you will pick more than one of the options to provide the best possible set up.
Do share with us in the comments!