If you are a keen gardener, you will have no doubt that good, reliable pruning shears are a top priority purchase when it comes maintaining your plants. A cheap and unreliable pair of shears will have you pulling your hair out with blister tinted hands in frustration. There are a wide range of options available on the market, so it is better to do a bit of digging to make sure you avoid this. In this article, we will guide you through 10 of the most popular gardening shears and scissors of 2017.
Table of Contents
- Types of Gardening Shears To Choose From
- Hand Shears
- Lopping Shears
- Pole Pruners
- Hedge Shears
- Pruning Saws
- Top 10 Best Gardening Shears & Scissors
- 10. Fiskars Traditional Bypass Pruning Shears
- 9. Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip
- 8. Power Drive Ratchet Anvil Hand Pruning Shears
- 7. Felco F-2 Classic Manual Hand Pruner
- 6. Corona BP 3180D ClassicCUT Forged Bypass Pruner
- 5. Gelindo Pruning Shears with Sharp Carbon SK-5 Steel Blade
- 4. Gonicc 8″ Professional Premium Titanium Bypass Pruning Shears (GPPS-1003)
- 3. Hydrofarm HGPP400C Precision Curved Blade Pruner
- 2. My Cozy Home Pruner – Bypass Pruning Shears with Safety Lock
- 1. Professional Pruning Shears by Doolini Nature
Types of Gardening Shears To Choose From
There are different types of shears for home gardeners to choose from. These are the most popular types:
Available in two types (anvil and bypass), hand shears are used to prune stems up to 3/4 inches in diameter. The anvil type crushes the stem as they cut, thus making a great choice for woody branches. The bypass type on the other hand is ideal for young, soft branches.
These also come with either anvil or bypass blades and are most commonly used to prune large plants with branches up to – 3/4 inches in diameter. The long handles allows for more reach than the one hand shears offer. Some models of lopping shears even come with ratchet joints or gears made for heavy-duty pruning.
The biggest advantage of the pole pruners is that they can reach high branches, more than 12 feet above the ground. They’re basically blades, attached to hooks mounted on poles, and are really handy for places that can’t be reached with regular shears and a ladder.
Those electricity powered shears are amazing for fast, neat trimming of hedges. They come in different sizes and shapes that you get to choose from, and can be powered by either electricity, batteries, or even gas. The long blades of the hedge shears ensures fast, even cutting of more branches are once.
Pruning saws work best for diameters of 1-1/2 inches, that is usually too much for hand pruners to handle. A pruning saw can come with either straight or curved blade paired with teeth (fine or coarse). A fine-toothed saw is the best choice for cutting branches of 2-½ inches in diameter, while those with coarsely toothed blades will work best with thicker branches measuring 3 inches (and more) in diameter.
Top 10 Best Gardening Shears & Scissors
Designed for cutting stems and light branches of a diameter of up to 5/8ths of an inch, the hardened steel blade is adorned with a low-friction coating in order to ensure smooth and accurate cutting action. It also means that the blades will resist rust, being resilient to the build-up of sap and debris. Moreover, there is a self-cleaning sap groove which stops the blades from getting stuck. The manufactures provide a lifetime warranty, but they are built with endurance in mind.
- Easy to keep clean and maintain
- Comes with lifetime warranty
- Fully hardened, precision-ground steel blades for effective and quick pruning
- They are a large make, which could be an issue for customers with smaller hands
- Often have difficulty with woody or fibrous vegetation
9. Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip
These pruners are designed for cleaning up small plants around the edges – ideal for trimming and shaping. Winner of the Arthritis Foundation Ease of Use Commendation due to its easy-to-use spring-action design which reduces hand strain by smoothly opening the blades after each cut. It is also useful for sufferers of arthritis.
- Easy to use, even for those with a weak hand grip
- Well-made and durable
- Comes with lifetime warranty
- Easy spring-action that opens the blades quickly after each use
- Only useful for smaller plants, can’t cut through thick diameters.
- Poorly designed locking mechanism is often a problem.
8. Power Drive Ratchet Anvil Hand Pruning Shears
These are Anvil type pruners that are designed to make it a lot easier to cut tougher, thicker materials. It also has a much greater capability for doing so than conventional pruners. In fact, the manufacturer claims that the ratcheting action mechanism multiplies your hand strength by 5. Again, these are good pruners for sufferers of arthritis or those with small hands.
- Can cut much thicker branches than other pruners
- Very easy on your hands – requires little effort
- Its design multiplies your hand power by 5 times
- High quality hardened steel blades that stay sturdy and sharp
- 100% customer satisfaction guarantee
- The slide lock button can be stiff
- Does not seem to last very well past 24 months
7. Felco F-2 Classic Manual Hand Pruner
Felco are renowned for producing high quality products. These pruners consist of strong blades of high-quality hardened steel which include a wire cutting notch and sap groove, and lightweight forged aluminium handles. It also has a shock absorber and rubber cushion to make consistent use easier on your hands, plus non-slip coating. It is designed for gardeners with bigger hands, but a smaller model, the F-6, is also available for individuals with smaller hands.
- Cuts through thick branches relatively easily
- Can dissemble easily to replace broken or hard-worn pieces
- Comes with rubber cushion and shock absorber for ease of use
- Designed with strong, sturdy blades with a wire cutting notch
- Metal handles are strong yet lightweight
- Often quite a bit more expensive than other brands
- Has been known to stick when cutting
6. Corona BP 3180D ClassicCUT Forged Bypass Pruner
This Forged Coronium steel alloy, heat treated Radial Arc bypass blade is made to last. Designed for precise cuts up to 1 inch in diameter, accessible through tight spaces due to the sleek, narrow-profile design. Blades again include a sap groove, making it easier to keep the product clean. Handles are cushioned in the attempt to ensure comfort in use. A few users have recommended the use of rubbing alcohol after each use to them keep clean, as well as the purchase of a Corona Blade Sharpener.
- Designed to be easy to maintain: easy to re-sharpen, replace worn-out parts and clean
- Sharp and clean cut
- Designed with a narrow profile so it can fit tight spaces easily
- Cuts through 1-inch thick branches easily
- Not as easy on your hands as other brands – harder to use
- People suffering from arthritis might struggle with this one
5. Gelindo Pruning Shears with Sharp Carbon SK-5 Steel Blade
Designed to make sure you can prune with less effort, this ratchet-anvil design is equipped with anti-slip rubber handles, durable heat-treated carbon steel blades with a pulley and spring loaded mechanism. The operation of this mechanism augments the force which your effort alone can produce. There is a non-stick, anti-rust Teflon coating which makes for easy-to-clean blades which are resilient to sap and fragments of vegetation.
- Easy to use
- Quick and clean cut
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Non stick Teflon coating to prevent sap and debris sticking to it
- Heat treated and hardened carbon SK-5 steel blades
- The lever used to lock the blades together when not in use can come undone quite easily
- Not as easy to use for arthritis sufferers
4. Gonicc 8″ Professional Premium Titanium Bypass Pruning Shears (GPPS-1003)
These solid pruners with non-slip handles are robust but light. Its premium Titanium steel blades also come with a sap groove which will remove any unwanted debris. Depending on the material, diameters of around ¾ of an inch are usually the limit.
- Sharp and clean cut, with a wire notch included
- Comfortable to use
- Ergonomic handles that are lightweight and easy to grip
- Sap groove design helps ensure that debris doesn’t stick to it
- Blade lock can break easily
- The spring doesn’t work very well at times
3. Hydrofarm HGPP400C Precision Curved Blade Pruner
This product is extremely useful for fine trimming in tight spaces. They are very light, with very thin stainless steel curved blades which make for great precision pruning. Also comes with free belt holster so that you can keep them on you at all times throughout your gardening.
- Can reach the more inaccessible places
- Curved blades made for fast clipping
- Super light and ergonomic design for easier gripping
- Springs are high quality and durable
- Only suitable for small branches
- Protracted use can be very tiring on your hand
2. My Cozy Home Pruner – Bypass Pruning Shears with Safety Lock
These sharp and durable blades include a sap groove and a wire cutting notch. There is a shock absorber which acts to reduce the stress on your grip, making the process of pruning less tiring, plus a safety clip which is useful when you are not using them. Handles are designed to be lightweight and comfortable.
- Easy and safe locking mechanism
- Bright red handles made it hard to lose
- Shock absorption to ease impact on your hand and wrist
- Lightweight and ergonomic design for easier use
- Relatively poor construction quality
- Quite stiff
1. Professional Pruning Shears by Doolini Nature
Made with industrial grade titanium blades rather than steel, this pair of pruning shears are designed to provide a precise and clean cut. Angled and cushioned handles make for a more comfortable gardening experience. Its precision sharpened blades also make your job a lot easier!
- Angled handle means that you don’t had to continuously twist your wrist
- Clean and sharp cut
- Industrial grade titanium blades for better efficiency and longer durability
- 100% risk free, money back guarantee
- Troubles with the safety lock
- Not made for people with small hands
Most importantly, it is best to get good quality shears that are a right fit for you and your needs. There are a few products on the list, most notably the Power Drive Ratchet Anvil Hand Pruning Shears, which are designed to make the job a lot easier on your grip. Whatever you go for, remember that most of these products have lifetime warranties which are backed up by reputable customer service departments, so there you don’t have to fret too much over your choice.
Do share with us in the comments!