There’s nothing like like having to get up to adjust the thermostat or change the light settings when you’re in the middle of doing some important work at home or having to wake up and get out of bed. It’s not only a hassle to interrupt your work every time, it’s actually so unnecessary these days when we have such convenient technology available to us. These days, we can easily utilize different home automation devices to streamline your everyday routine. From adjusting light and thermostat settings to getting your coffee ready by the time you hop out of bed, these simple devices connect with your wifi so that you can control everything with a click!
Table of Contents
- 6 Benefits to Automating Your Home
- Top 10 Best Home Automation Devices
- 10. Amazon Echo
- 9. Smart Plug Mini
- 8. Wink Hub 2
- 7. TP-Link Smart LED Light Bulb
- 6. WeMo Light Switch
- 5. Sensi Smart Thermostat
- 4. GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Lighting
- 3. Belkin Conserve Insight Energy Use Monitor
- 2. Etekcity 5-Channel Wireless Remote Control
- 1. Wink Relay – Smart Home Touchscreen Control Panel
6 Benefits to Automating Your Home
- An Added Measure of Safety
With a simple click now, you can check to make sure you have turned off certain devices in your home. Some devices you might want to monitor include hair curlers, ovens and more.
- Never Forget To Lock Your Door Again
If you’re one of those who regularly leaves home then spends the day wondering if you’ve actually locked the door after you left, an automatic door lock can help upkeep your home’s safety. Children might sometimes run out the door and forget to lock up behind them as well. With home automation, you can easily control your door lock or even be alerted if someone enters your home.
- Easily Connect A Network of Security Cameras
Use a network of security cameras, connected to your smartphone, to monitor your home from anywhere at any time! Security cameras can record clips and you can even set them to detect movement at different times of the day.
- Control Your Home’s Temperature Throughout the Day
Don’t want to leave the heater on when you’re not home but don’t want to come home to an icy cold place either? Use your automated thermostat or a smartphone app to control your thermostat to turn on half an hour before you get home so it’s the perfect temperature for you the minute you step inside.
- Saves Time and Increases Your Productivity
Needless to say, most of us are so busy with everyday life and ever increasing tasks and chores. Automating your home takes another list of things off your shoulders. You also no longer have to rush home to adjust or control any household appliances since you can now do so from your smartphone from anywhere. Put the time saved and the peace of mind to better use instead!
- Increased Savings and Convenience
Automating your home can actually help your reduce your monthly utility costs. Now that you can control household appliances with a simple click from anywhere, you no longer have to waste electricity leaving appliances on unnecessarily.
Top 10 Best Home Automation Devices
Any of these available devices will work hard so you don’t have to. From smart plugs to little hubs, you’re bound to find one that will work for you.
10. Amazon Echo
Get the Echo in black or white and use it to play music with just your voice. It will fill the room with 360 degrees omni-directional audio, so you can hear it from anywhere. It’s hands-free with voice control that hears questions, reports news, and controls all sorts of other devices.
- The circle lighting shows you when the device is “listening”
- The speaker is balanced well and has high quality
- Encompasses a huge variety of voice commands
- You can easily upload your music to it
- You do need to call it Alexa when you refer to it. There’s no customization available at the moment when it comes to naming your Amazon Echo assistant.
- You may experience wifi issues and connection problems
- They do go out of warranty after only about a year
9. Smart Plug Mini
Use this mini smart plug to control devices that are connected remotely. Schedule it to automatically turn things on and off, or even set it for when you leave. If you have the Amazon Echo with it, they work together with just your voice!
- You can group things together really well with the Echo
- Works with an app too
- Connection via wifi provide 2-way connection for real-time status
- You can unplug it without losing settings if you want to relocate
- You may need more detailed instructions for set-up
- The plug socket is placed a little awkwardly on the front
- Slightly bulky compared to other models
- It does cover both outlets if you plug it in
8. Wink Hub 2
Using Wink, you can control all your smart products wirelessly from the same app. It’s easy to set up, has a powerful wifi connection, and looks sleek and modern too. If you upgrade from another Wink product, everything can even be transferred over with ease.
- Transfers from another hub with ease
- Works quickly to turn lights on and off
- Much faster than Hub 1, the prior version
- Works very well with Echo as well
- There are some known issues with the connection and bulbs randomly turning on and off
- Updates appear to take a long time
- There are problems with the network connections sometimes
7. TP-Link Smart LED Light Bulb
You can use this smart bulb with Echo easily, so it can be controlled from anywhere. Use the app on your tablet to dim brightness, customize lighting, and set schedules, timers, and countdowns. You don’t even need a hub if you won’t want to, since it works without your wifi router.
- Compatible for direct control with the Echo or the Kasa app
- Set up is a breeze since you don’t need to connect to a wifi hub
- Can configure brightness from 1-100%
- Easy to register and set up
- People find they have to reset the settings a few times
- There are issues with staying online sometimes
- The Echo may not recognize it all the time
6. WeMo Light Switch
WeMo is meant to replace your light switch so you have seamless control. It’s easy to install if you’re doing it yourself and can be scheduled. So if you’re coming home late, the lights will be on! It even works with thermostats or ceiling fans with just an app.
- Installation is simple, even if you’re inexperienced
- Connection to the wifi is simple
- Enhances the appearance of your light switches
- Timers work quite well
- Customer service isn’t the best
- If the power goes out, it’s hard to get the lights re-connected
- You have to pay for customer service after 90 days
- You may need to reset often
5. Sensi Smart Thermostat
Sensi has high compatibility in many homes, and you can even check online before you buy to see if it’ll work with yours. Connect it to your home wifi and control it anywhere with an app so you can schedule cooling and heating for up to 7 days at a time.
- Operates like a traditional thermostat, so it’s not excessively complicated
- Very easy to install in around 15 minutes
- Helps you keep your energy usage down with
- Includes settings for temperature, schedule, fans, and AC
- Difficult to adjust when you’re away from home
- Wifi connectivity has been a problem
- People report that their device often goes offline
- They are not compatible with everyone’s homes
4. GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Lighting
With just this switch, you can wirelessly turn your lights on and off, schedule your lights, or turn them on or off from offsite. The GE Z-Wave is space efficient, so it won’t take up another plug either. All you need is your phone to change your lighting.
- Connects to a variety of hubs
- You can let the lights be as bright or as dark as you need
- For installation, all you do is replaced a manual box with this switch
- Can also report energy usage
- Pairing the device with your hub can be difficult; if you push the button wrong, it won’t work
- It is a little pricey
- The product looks slightly different than the picture; not exactly right-angled
3. Belkin Conserve Insight Energy Use Monitor
You can use this Belkin Monitor to show your carbon footprint! The tracking feature helps you monitor energy while projecting the impact on your electric bill. All you need to do is set it on a table, plug it in with the 6 foot cord, and see how much you can save.
- Works great to power other devices too
- The timer is set easily and can be set for multiple times
- Can easily be plugged into multiple products
- The amount of time it works for can gradually reduce over time
- Can short circuit sometimes
2. Etekcity 5-Channel Wireless Remote Control
There are 5 buttons on the Etekcity control for five different channels. You can pair it with one or multiple outlets, and it’ll even work through doors and within 100ft. It’s quick and easy to install and can be operated just through a digital remote!
- Helps you easily reprogram a plug to respond to a new remote
- Sturdier than other comparable options out there
- Batteries are easy to replace and cheap to buy
- Works great when compared with the Echo
- Does not let your outlets work with old remotes
- It can get a little complicated changing up the 5 plugs
- You may have to open it up to get everything connected properly
1. Wink Relay – Smart Home Touchscreen Control Panel
The touch screen on the Wink control panel lets you access all your smart products through the Wink app. Customize your temperature, humidity and proximity sensors, along with your lights too! Single or double light switches will soon be a thing of the past.
- Great for providing master control over everything
- Installation is straightforward
- Out of the box usage is easy, and you can add devices simply
- The interface is pretty smooth
- System updates take quite a while
- The quality of the buttons don’t feel very well constructed
- Substantial delay (10-15 seconds) sometimes with turning lights on or off
There are lots of great products to choose from when it comes to making your daily life easier and automating your home. Any of these top 10 home automation devices will work great depending on what you need. Now when you have to click the lights off, you don’t even need to get up!
Do share with us in the comments!