If you are a keen gardener, you will have no doubt that good, reliable pruning shears are a top priority purchase when it comes maintaining your plants. A cheap and flimsy pair of will have you pulling your hair out with blister tinted hands in frustration.
How many times have you picked up some at a discount store on offer? They usually work fine for a few weeks. And then they start to become lose and blunt. You try to compensate by adjusting your grip and pressing down harder.
In the end your hand are sore and you are nowhere near finishing the job you set out to do. If any of this sounds familiar, then it is time to get a more serious pruning tool and give your hands a break. At the end of the day, the better options on this page will still not cost you much. And they might just be one of the best tools you invest in.
There are a wide range of options available on the market, so it is better to do a bit of digging to make sure you avoid unnecessary problems. In this article, we will guide you through 10 of the most popular pruning shears and scissors of 2017.
Table of Contents
- Not All Types Of Gardening Shears Are The Same
- Hand Shears
- Lopping Shears
- Pole Pruners
- Hedge Shears
- Pruning Saws
- Top 10 Best Gardening Shears & Scissors
- 1. Professional Pruning Shears by Doolini Nature
- 2. My Cozy Home Pruner – Bypass Pruning Shears with Safety Lock
- 3. Hydrofarm Hgpp400c Stainless Steel Precision Curved Blade Pruner
- 4. Gonicc 8″ Professional Premium Titanium Bypass Pruning Shears (GPPS-1003)
- 5. Gelindo Pruning Shears with Sharp Carbon SK-5 Steel Blade
- 6. Corona BP 3180D ClassicCUT Forged Bypass Pruner
- 7. Felco F-2 Classic Manual Hand Pruner
- 8. Power Drive Ratchet Anvil Hand Pruning Shears
- 9. Fiskars Softouch, Precision Pruning Snip 9921
- 10. Fiskars Traditional Bypass Pruning Shears
- Best Gardening Tools And Hedge Shears
- Best Pruning Shears For Roses
- Best Pruning Shears For Fruit Trees
- Best Electric Garden Shears
Not All Types Of Gardening Shears Are The Same
There are different types of shears for home gardeners to choose from. Some of them are visibly very different and you might wonder what you would use them for. If you have a lot of different plant, then you may need to invest in a couple of different models.
This will help you to properly look after your garden and make it look its best. These are the most popular types:
Available in two types (anvil and bypass), hand shears are used to prune stems up to 3/4 inches in diameter. The anvil type crushes the stem as they cut, thus making them a great choice for woody branches. The bypass type on the other hand is ideal for young, soft branches.
If you have a mi of different plants you might want to consider one of each. This will make your job a lot easier. And you always have the right tool available.
These also come with either anvil or bypass blades and are most commonly used to prune large plants with branches up to 3/4 inches in diameter. The long handles allow for more reach than what hand shears offer. Some models of lopping shears even come with ratchet joints or gears made for heavy-duty pruning.
The biggest advantage of the pole pruners is that they can reach high branches, more than 12 feet above the ground. They’re basically blades, attached to hooks mounted on poles, and are really handy for places that can’t be reached with regular shears and a ladder.
If you have trees or large hedges then these might be a must have investment. Yes, you can get up on a ladder too, but why take those added risks when you can stay firmly on the ground.
These electrically powered shears are amazing for fast, neat trimming of hedges. They come in different sizes and shapes, and can be powered by either electricity, batteries, or even gas. The long blades of the hedge shears ensure fast, even cutting of more branches are once. This is the best way to trim an even edge on hedges.
Pruning saws work best for diameters of 1-5 inches, which is usually too much for hand pruners to handle. A pruning saw can come with either straight or curved blade paired with different teeth (fine or coarse). A fine-toothed saw is the best choice for cutting branches of 2.5 inches in diameter, while those with coarsely toothed blades will work best with thicker branches measuring 3 inches (and more) in diameter.
Top 10 Best Gardening Shears & Scissors
To help you in your search for the best gardening tools we have reviewed some of the highest rated products on the market. You will find many different types and it is likely that you will choose more than one pair.
As they all have different uses you can make you entire gardening job an awful lot easier. By hand picking devices for specific job all these tasks will become more enjoyable. And, your hands will thank you for the investment as well.
1. Professional Pruning Shears by Doolini Nature
Made with industrial grade titanium blades rather than steel, this pair of pruning shears are designed to provide a precise and clean cut. The advantage of titanium is that the blades will stay sharp a lot longer. At the same time, they are lighter than steel, which makes them a lot easier to use.
Angled and cushioned handles make for a more comfortable gardening experience. The handles are also angled in aa way to make it a lot more natural to grip. This means that even when you spend hours using them, you won’t notice as much hand and am fatigue.
- Angled handle means that you don’t have to continuously twist your wrist
- Clean and sharp cut
- Industrial grade titanium blades for better efficiency and longer durability
- 100% risk free, money back guarantee
- Troubles with the safety lock
- Not made for people with small hands
2. My Cozy Home Pruner – Bypass Pruning Shears with Safety Lock
These sharp and durable blades include a sap groove and a wire cutting notch. There is a shock absorber which acts to reduce the stress on your grip, making the process of pruning less tiring. The safety clip is useful when you are not using them, as you do not want to accidentally cut something.
Handles are designed to be lightweight and comfortable with extra grip contouring. From the moment you hold these in your hands you’ll notice how well they are adjusted to the shape of your hand.
- Easy and safe locking mechanism
- Bright red handles made it hard to lose
- Shock absorption to ease impact on your hand and wrist
- Lightweight and ergonomic design for easier use
- Relatively poor construction quality
- Quite stiff
3. Hydrofarm Hgpp400c Stainless Steel Precision Curved Blade Pruner
This product is extremely useful for fine trimming in tight spaces. They are very light, with very thin stainless steel curved blades which make for great precision pruning. If you have many flowers then you know exactly how annoying it can be to get everything just right.
Big bulky shears are very awkward to use when you just want to clip a few leaves or dead-head some roses. For all flower lovers, this is the go to tool of choice, and you will not regret having these in your garage.
It also comes with free belt holster so that you can keep them on you at all times throughout your gardening. As you will not use them as frequently as other tools, it is very handy to be able to keep it safe but easily accessible at the same time.
- Can reach the more inaccessible places
- Curved blades made for fast clipping
- Super light and ergonomic design for easier gripping
- Springs are high quality and durable
- Only suitable for small branches
- Protracted use can be very tiring on your hand
4. Gonicc 8″ Professional Premium Titanium Bypass Pruning Shears (GPPS-1003)
These solid pruners with non-slip handles are robust but light. Its premium Titanium steel blades also come with a sap groove which will remove any unwanted debris. Depending on the material, diameters of around ¾ of an inch are usually the limit.
But the great thing about this model is the size of the blade. If you have lots of tougher plants to cut through then the job will be much quicker with this tool. It is also really easy on the hand, so longer jobs will not be as painful.
- Sharp and clean cut, with a wire notch included
- Comfortable to use
- Ergonomic handles that are lightweight and easy to grip
- Sap groove design helps ensure that debris doesn’t stick to it
- Blade lock can break easily
- The spring doesn’t work very well at times
5. Gelindo Pruning Shears with Sharp Carbon SK-5 Steel Blade
Designed to make sure you can prune with less effort, this ratchet-anvil design is equipped with anti-slip rubber handles and durable heat-treated carbon steel blades. Using a pulley and spring loaded mechanism this mechanism augments the force which your own hands produce.
What this means is that the device amplifies your strength. This is ideal for any tough vegetation where you need to cut through lots of thicker branches. Even for strong hands this can become tiring.
There is a non-stick, anti-rust Teflon coating which makes for easy-to-clean blades which are resilient to sap and fragments of vegetation. You will need little more than a damp cloth to clean them at the end of use.
- Easy to use and ideal for tough jobs
- Quick and clean cut
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Non stick Teflon coating to prevent sap and debris sticking to it
- Heat treated and hardened carbon SK-5 steel blades
- The lever used to lock the blades together when not in use can come undone quite easily
- Not as easy to use for arthritis sufferers
6. Corona BP 3180D ClassicCUT Forged Bypass Pruner
This Forged Coronium steel alloy, heat treated Radial Arc bypass blade is made to last. Designed for precise cuts up to 1 inch in diameter, this tool will be used for many years. It is a bit more expensive than others, but it’s well worth it if you will be using them a lot.
Due to the sleek and narrow-profile design you will be able to reach through tight spaces. Blades also include a sap groove, making it easier to keep the product clean and to stop it from sticking. Handles are cushioned in an attempt to ensure comfort in use. Still, a pair of good gardening gloves will be the best prevention of blisters
A few users have recommended the use of rubbing alcohol after each use to keep them clean, as well as the purchase of a Corona Blade Sharpener. This will all depend on how much you use them on your plants.
- Designed to be easy to maintain: easy to re-sharpen, replace worn-out parts and clean
- Sharp and clean cut, for precise work
- Designed with a narrow profile so it can fit tight spaces easily
- Cuts through 1-inch thick branches easily
- Not as easy on your hands as other brands – harder to use
- People suffering from arthritis might struggle with this one
7. Felco F-2 Classic Manual Hand Pruner
Felco are renowned for producing high quality products. These pruners consist of strong blades of high-quality hardened steel which include a wire cutting notch and sap groove. The lightweight forged aluminum handles are very easy to grip.
It also has a shock absorber and rubber cushion to make consistent use easier on your hands. The hardened blades have proven themselves to endure years of tough uses. This makes it a really versatile tool for all gardening needs.
It is designed for gardeners with bigger hands, but a smaller model, the F-6, is also available for individuals with smaller hands. Even by looking at these you can tell that it’s a very classic design, but also one that is tried and tested.
- Cuts through thick branches relatively easily
- Can dissemble easily to replace broken or hard-worn pieces
- Comes with rubber cushion and shock absorber for ease of use
- Designed with strong, sturdy blades with a wire cutting notch
- Metal handles are strong yet lightweight
- Often quite a bit more expensive than other brands
- Has been known to stick when cutting
8. Power Drive Ratchet Anvil Hand Pruning Shears
These are anvil type pruners that are designed to make it a lot easier to cut tougher, thicker materials. The mechanical mechanism basically amplifies your hands’ strength. As a result, you will be able to cut through some pretty tough vegetation. The manufacturer claims that the ratcheting action mechanism multiplies your hand strength by 5.
The handles are easy to grip and this makes them ideal for sufferers of arthritis or those with small hands. If you want to make it a bit easier on your hands then these are the best option on the market.
- Can cut much thicker branches than other pruners
- Very easy on your hands – requires little effort
- Its design multiplies your hand power by 5 times
- High quality hardened steel blades that stay sturdy and sharp
- 100% customer satisfaction guarantee
- The slide lock button can be stiff
- Does not seem to last very well past 24 months
9. Fiskars Softouch, Precision Pruning Snip 9921
These pruners are designed for cleaning up small plants around the edges. And they are ideal for trimming and shaping. When you need to make some precision pruning on your favorite flowers or trees then this is the must use tool.
Winner of the Arthritis Foundation Ease of Use Commendation due to its easy-to-use spring-action design which reduces hand strain by smoothly opening the blades after each cut. This makes it ideal for elderly people who otherwise struggle with pruning jobs.
- Easy to use, even for those with a weak hand grip
- Well-made and durable
- Comes with lifetime warranty
- Easy spring-action that opens the blades quickly after each use: ideal for arthritis
- Only useful for smaller plants, can’t cut through thick diameters.
- Poorly designed locking mechanism is often a problem.
10. Fiskars Traditional Bypass Pruning Shears
Designed for cutting stems and light branches of a diameter of up to 5/8ths of an inch, the hardened steel blade is adorned with a low-friction coating in order to ensure smooth and accurate cutting action.
It also means that the blades will resist rust, and being resilient to the build-up of sap and debris. Such things make the blades blunt and less accurate which would result in a tougher job.
Moreover, there is a self-cleaning sap groove which stops the blades from getting stuck. The manufactures provide a lifetime warranty, as they are built with endurance in mind. This is truly an excellent product.
- Easy to keep clean and maintain, so they are always ready to use
- Durable, so you don’t end up regularly replacing them
- Comes with lifetime warranty, you don’t get better than that
- Fully hardened, precision-ground steel blades for effective and quick pruning
- They are a large make, which could be an issue for customers with smaller hands
- Often have difficulty with woody or fibrous vegetation
Best Gardening Tools And Hedge Shears
Now that you have seen some of our top recommendations you might still be wondering what to invest in for your personal use. There really is not right answer, but we can help you narrow things down a little more.
If you regularly cut through really tough branches on hedgerows, trees and bushes, then you need a model with an anvil mechanism. This will make it a lot easier on your hands and you will save yourself a lot of blisters and pain. For these types of job you will not go far wrong with the Power Drive Ratchet.
For the subtler and less regular types of pruning you will probably just need to go for a middle of the road device. If you want something to last many years, you can go ahead and spend a bit more. Now let’s take a look at some very particular uses.
Best Pruning Shears For Roses
By far the best product for this job is the Hydrofarm HGPP400C. It is very easy to use and will allow you to really precisely cut your rose plants into the shape you want. For very established rose bushes you might sometimes need to resort to a more powerful model. But for general pruning and shaping this will do a great job.
Best Pruning Shears For Fruit Trees
For most types of fruit trees a middle of the range model will work just fine. In most cases, you just want to trim a few small branches to encourage certain growth. For such jobs you won’t go too far wrong with the Fiskars Traditional Bypass.
They are powerful enough to get through some thicker branches, but at the same time give you some precision as well. In most cases pruning a fruit tree will take quite some time, and this tool is comfortable on the hands. If you have several trees to work on, then it might be a good call to look into electric shears.
Best Electric Garden Shears
If you have a very large garden with lots of plants, or you are a professional landscaper, then a power type of shears will probably be a must have Make sure you stay away from models that are not battery operated. You will quickly find them to be too annoying to get to all places in your garden.
Generally speaking, they are not ideal for precision work, but they can be very handy for trimming and pruning small trees and feature plants. One of the best products on the market is the Black & Decker GSL35. It is compact and powerful, and will make a lot of bigger pruning jobs a lot easier.
The most important thing is to invest in good quality shears that are a right fit for you and your needs. There are a few products on the list, most notably the Power Drive Ratchet Anvil Hand Pruning Shears, which are designed to make the job a lot easier on your grip.
Whatever you go for, remember that most of these products have lifetime warranties which are backed up by reputable customer service departments, so you don’t have to worry too much over your choice.
Do share with us in the comments!