If you could think of things that remind you of your childhood, would camping be a memory? Are you wanting to relive happy childhood experiences or are you hoping to start up a new hobby? Either way, camping can be a great way to get away from the city and enjoy nature.
Before you pack up to camp, don’t forget that backpacking requires preparation. From bringing food and water to packing a reliable tent and warm bedding, there are some things that you don’t want to forget back home. After all, having a successful camping experience is all about being prepared.
An item that you’ll want to make sure to bring is a camping lantern. An LED camping lantern will allow you to stay up reading, instead of having to go to bed when the sun goes down. It can help you set up your tent, should you arrive to your campsite after dark.
Owning a rechargeable led lantern can be used for camping or for emergencies. It’s handy to have should the lights go out or when you decide to go out on a walk with your dog at night. From fancy options that can double up as device chargers to simple ones that will provide you with light when you need it, there are several options to consider.
To help you make an informed decision, read this camping lantern review to determine which one will bring you years of use for successful backpacking experiences.
Our Top 10 Best Camping Lantern Recommendations
#1 - Goal Zero Lighthouse 250 Lantern
|| Top Of The Range With USB Port||5.0 stars out of 5|
#2 - UST 30-DAY Duro LED
|| Longest Lasting||4.5 stars out of 5|
#3 - Etekcity 4 Pack
|| Portable LED Camping Lantern||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- Our Top 10 Best Camping Lantern Recommendations
- 1. Goal Zero Lighthouse 250 Lantern: Top Of The Range With USB Port
- 2. UST 30-DAY Duro LED: Longest Lasting
- 3. Etekcity 4 Pack: Portable LED Camping Lantern
- 4. UST Duro LED: 10 Day Run Time
- 5. Suaoki Led: Solar Powered Option
- 6. Basics Hardware: Outdoor Collapsible Lantern
- 7. MalloMe LED: Nice Colorful Choices
- 8. ZOZGETU Led Camping Lantern: Great Value Pack Of 3
- 9. Streamlight Siege: Exceptionally Bright
- 10. LighTouch Mini LED: Limited Use Even For Cheap Option
- What Features You Need To Focus On
- Power Source
- Water Resistant
The Goal Zero Lighthouse isn’t just any lantern. It boasts of a USB port, so you can also use it as a backup charger. Whether you want to invest in extra solar panels for charging the lantern, crank it, or plug it in, the Goal Zero can be powered many different ways.
It’s easy to transport and pack up with foldable legs. As a lightweight lantern with powerful lighting, it’s easy to carry without you anywhere you go. As easy as it is to power the Goal Zero, you don’t want to waste. It has adjustable brightness levels to help you save power for when you really need it. It can last for up to 48 hours on low lighting.
With a double-sided light, you can see your surroundings easily without having to worry about pointing it just right. It charges quickly, so you don’t have to spend forever waiting to be able to use it. It also has emergency lights, should you need to use it for emergencies.
If you’re looking for a convenient option that you can charge easily and depend on for camping, the Goal Zero is top-of-the-line. Just bear in mind that if you crank it for power, you won’t get that much time out of it. Another thing to consider is that it’s price is a bit high in comparison to other options.
- The Goal Zero can be powered a number of ways, making it highly convenient.
- It has a double-sided light which helps you to see paths clearly at night.
- This option also works as a phone charger, making it a worthy partner for camping.
- It has a powerful, bright light which helps you see great at night.
- It includes emergency lights which can be used for a car breakdown or if you’re lost while camping.
- It’s quite costly, so it might not be for everyone.
- It has a short cord, which could be a nuisance.
When shopping for a lantern, you want something that won’t give up the ghost soon. The UST is a good option, both for its durable exterior and long-lasting power. While many options promise a good charge that lasts for up to 48 hours, this baby can run on the same set of batteries for up to 30 days.
It doesn’t only have light that lasts for as long as needed, but it also has the brightness you need when out in the wild. Because of its compact size, it’s easy to carry with you and pack for your camping adventure. While it may be a bit too heavy for carrying with you on a hike, it will work well for planned camping and emergency use.
It’s constructed well with a sturdy exterior that will withstand rough weather conditions. You can depend on it for a back-up emergency light or for whenever you want to go camping. While it may be tough to find the on and off button on the UST, for the low price, it’s an excellent buy.
- It has amazing, long-lasting power which makes it dependable.
- It has a durable exterior that makes it a worthy camping companion.
- It doesn’t cost that much but has great features.
- It has a variety of light settings which helps you to control the brightness.
- It’s simple to use and carry with you.
- It’s tricky to find the on/off button at night, which could result in delayed lighting.
- It automatically runs on the brightest setting, which may cause the batteries to run out quickly.
This is the option you want when you want to be sure to never run out of lanterns. As a 4-pack set, you can rest assured that you won’t run out of power soon. Whether you want a lantern for camping or for emergencies, this is a good option. It also includes 30 individual LED bulbs which are low-powered, so you can be sure that they won’t run out soon.
The collapsible lantern is easy to carry and can fit easily with your camping gear without taking up too much space. The Etekcity has the ability to work for 12 hours of continuous lighting, should you ever need it to last that long. Because of its low-consumption features, this LED option has a great lifespan and saves energy.
It’s also a sturdy option with military grade material that is built to last. If you want to adjust the brightness, all you have to do is adjust the height, and voila, you can have dim or bright lighting in your tent. It also includes foldable handles for easy carrying. With all these great features, you would think that the Etekcity would cost a lot. Fortunately, it’s low priced.
- It includes 4 lanterns, which means you never have to run out of light.
- It’s easy to carry with you and take camping.
- It provides bright lighting for your camping and emergency use.
- It’s easy to change brightness which makes it very convenient.
- It’s highly affordable making it a great deal for campers.
- These lanterns are not water-proofed which means they can get ruined easily.
- They aren’t as durable as some other options.
With up to 250 lumens, the UST is a good idea for those times when you need plenty of light. It can run for up to 10 days without being turned off (on low) or for 26 hours on high. It’s lifetime LED is extremely dependable, as one would hope and won’t need to be replaced.
Because this is an item that you’ll be taking out into nature with you, you want it to stand up to rough conditions. The UST’s rubberized housing gives it a great impact-resistance. If you want your lantern to double up as a safety device, you’ll appreciate the fact that it also has an SOS flashing feature. This can be an important thing to have while camping and could make a world of difference.
As small as it is, it still provides plenty of light for your camping experience. It’s easy to power with AA+ batteries and has a good-looking, strong exterior. Best of all, it is an inexpensive option.
- It’s affordable making it a quality purchase.
- It has a strong, rubber base that stands up to use in the outdoors.
- It’s LED light is long-lasting and unbreakable.
- It includes an SOS flashing feature that can help to keep you safe.
- It can work for hours on end when set to the low setting.
- It’s a bit too small for some people’s preferences.
- Its light can be a bit jarring and not as warm as some would like.
Batteries die, electricity isn’t easy to come by in the outdoors, and yet, you still want to be sure your lantern works when you need it. The Suaoki helps to take the stress away by being a solar-powered option for campers who want to be prepared. It can also be powered by a USB port, making it one of the most convenient battery powered lanterns around.
Because of its compact size, you can take this lantern with you on hikes, camping, or even while traveling to other countries. It can fit in your backpack or even a compartment in your car. In fact, it’s one of the best options for those who plan on hiking for multiple days, as you can easily charge it while you hike and use it at night.
The Suaoki also allows you to choose between three different lighting mods, so that you can always have the lighting you need. From SOS flashing to high and low brightness, it’s one of the best camping lanterns around. As if this wasn’t enough, the Suaoki is highly affordable.
- The Suaoki is compact and easy to carry, making it perfect for hikers.
- It can be powered by the sun or with its USB port.
- It is inexpensive, making it a worthy addition to your camping gear.
- It has soft light that won’t hurt your eyes but provides enough brightness for dependable use.
- It can be folded when not in use.
- The handle is somewhat flimsy and requires careful handling.
- It draws insects to it which can make it messy to pack up and take with you.
This Basics Hardware is an ideal lantern for outdoor use. It includes batteries, so you can use it as soon as you get it. As a collapsible lantern, you could take it with you camping or hiking. The Basics Hardware lantern pulls up to be turned on and turned off by pushing it down. You can also use it with dim lights by only slightly opening it to display a portion of the light.
If you’re concerned about extra weight in your pack, you need not be concerned as the Basics Hardware is very lightweight and easy to carry. It can work for up to 12 hours at a time and provides plenty of bright light with 30 individual LED bulbs. It also lights up a space at 360-degree angles. With collapsible handles on top, you can easily carry it on paths during the night.
The Basics is powered by 3 triple AAA batteries, so always be sure to have extra ones around. While it isn’t the fanciest option, it’s convenient and low priced.
- It is very affordable, making it a great idea for a backup light.
- You can adjust the light by adjusting the height, which makes it easy to use.
- It can provide up to 12 hours of continuous lighting should you need it.
- It can be folded to be carried in your backpack, making it ideal for hikes.
- It has a powerful light, so you’ll be able to see clearly in the dark.
- It doesn’t come with an on/off switch, which could be a frustrating factor.
- Its size is smaller than most.
If you have a camping fanatic in the family, the MalloMe LED could be a nice gift for them. With a variety of colors in one set of four, you can have the variety you seek. Take your pick from blue, gold, black, or green. The MalloMe has 360-degree LED lights that provide enough brightness for your camping experience.
As a CE and ROHS approved product, you can trust that it’s meant to hold up in camping and hiking adventures, no matter what. It collapses into a smaller size, so that you can easily take it with you on a hike or camping adventure. The light bulbs are meant to provide users with over 100,000 hours of use, making this option a long-lasting one.
The MalloMe runs on AA batteries, but gets a lot of use out of them. It’s also made with water-resistant material, should you need to light your way in the rain. It’s small, compact size makes it ideal for outdoor adventures and it can easily fit in your pack. The set of four won’t cost you much and you’ll have plenty of backup lighting should you ever need it, in emergency or while camping.
- The set has four different colors which makes for fun variety.
- The MalloMe set is inexpensive and gives you 4 lamps instead of just one.
- It has water-resistant material, so it can be used even in rainy weather.
- They won’t take up space in your pack.
- They are lightweight to carry but sturdy enough for dependable use.
- They aren’t as strong and sturdy as some other options.
- The set often has a defective one.
The ZOZGETU is a pack of three, which ensures that you’ll never run out of light. Unlike other options, the ZOZGETU can be used as a lantern or a flashlight. You can also use it as both types of light sources, if you wish.
The ZOZGETU is easy to charge, with the ability to be plugged in or with sunlight.
It has a lightweight construction that makes it easy to carry it while hiking or traveling. It can be collapsed, so that you won’t have to worry about squeezing it into your luggage. With six low powered LED bulbs, this baby is designed to last longer than ever. It can illuminate your tent or room with 360-degree coverage and has a built-in rechargeable battery.
If you want to use it continuously, the ZOZGETU can be used for up to 12 hours. It even has a USB emergency charger that can be used with Androids. With three lanterns offered at a low price, what more could you ask for?
- It has an option for charging your Android phone.
- It’s an affordable set of 3 lanterns.
- It can work as a flashlight or lantern.
- It’s compact for easy carrying.
- It offers bright lighting that can fill up a room.
- It isn’t water proof.
- It doesn’t have an indicator of when it’s fully charged.
While some other options may not look like they’re up for adventure outside your home’s walls, this baby does. Plus, its abilities go beyond its looks. It has an ergonomic handle that makes it easy to carry in a locked position. The incorporated D-rings on the top and bottom make it easy to use in a variety of ways.
It has a low white lode mode that can run for up to 295 hours on one set of three D-Cell Alkaline Batteries (not included). The Streamlight Siege has several different light settings ranging from low to high, red, and SOS flashing. This is one area where the Streamlight stands out from the rest. It’s brightest setting is exceptionally bright, making it a highly convenient option.
The Streamlight Siege has a couple of other special features. The fact that it can float is something one wouldn’t think of needing but would be glad for should the situation warrant it. It also is water-resistant making the above feature a possibility. As dependable as this option is, it won’t take a big bite out of your pocket.
- It has a very bright light.
- It’s durable and sturdy.
- It’s water-resistant and floats.
- It is inexpensive.
- It provides plenty of hours of lighting with one set of batteries.
- It is smaller than one would expect.
- It doesn’t include instructions.
A simple option that doesn’t cost much, you shouldn’t expect a lot from LighTouch. Yet, it can provide decent use should you want a budget-friendly backup for your other lanterns. It’s small and compact which is a positive feature that can help you to carry it easily.
It is made from ABS material and is finished with a rubber oil which helps to keep it from breaking. The handle on the side makes it easy to carry while walking in the dark and it can be used as a LED lantern or flashlight. It has three different light modes. You can use it on flash mode, dim lighting, or strong lighting.
The LighTouch includes 6 AA batteries, so you can use it as soon as it arrives. It may not be the most attractive option, but for such a low price, one may ignore its poor aesthetics.
- It includes batteries.
- It’s cheap.
- It’s ideal for children to use.
- It has a variety in light settings.
- It’s compact and easy to carry.
- It isn’t an aesthetically pleasing option.
- It isn’t as long-lasting as other lanterns.
What Features You Need To Focus On
The following features are the ones that you’ll want to consider before purchasing a camping lantern.
How much light do you need to fill up the space you’ll have or the circumference you want? A smaller lantern may be easier to carry, but it may not be as big as you’ll need. Before purchasing, determine how much light coverage you’re hoping to get from your lantern.
Even more important than size is brightness. You’ll want to check on brightness before buying to ensure that you’re getting a lantern that will provide you with the light you’ll need when you need it.
There are several different kinds of lanterns and many are powered differently. Some can be powered by being plugged in, others by an USB port, while others are powered by solar panels or batteries. Some lanterns are powered by one or two means. Which kind do you want?
While it isn’t always found in every lantern (especially not antique ones), if it has a water-resistant feature, you want it. You never know what the weather will be like where you’re headed.
If you plan on using an Apollo one for hiking, make sure to look for a highly portable, lightweight option. Because every pound counts when hiking, you don’t want it to be a heavy one.
From the first to the last, our top ten camping lanterns have hopefully given you an idea of what you want. Whether you want a solar powered option or prefer using them with trusty batteries, consider the most convenient lantern for you.