Is it your dream to have a cozy living space that will keep you warm on those dark winter nights? We’re sure it is. After all: ‘Who wants to be cold in winter!’
Whether you own your own home or live in a rental unit and have a fireplace you’ll know that in reality the hard work of maintaining a fireplace may not be worth the comfort it gives you. They’re expensive to install and can be messy.
Today you have an alternative choice as electric fireplaces give you the benefit of a fire without the mess involved. What’s more there are a lot of added bonuses. You’ll no longer have to worry about and fumes from a fire: being as there’s no real wood to burn there’ll be no indoor smoke with its duraflame. No smoke also means no chimneys to clean. A further advantage is that they are safe and can be used all year with or without heat if you just want a fire effect. They can be free standing, you can insert them into the wall or attach them on the wall. What’s more, they’re not too expensive so you won’t have to worry about breaking the bank to buy one.
Our Top 10 Best Electric Fireplace Recommendations
So are you ready to purchase one? Then why not check out our electric fireplace reviews of what we consider to be the 10 top electric fireplaces on offer. Whether you’re looking for something more contemporary or something with more of a rustic antique look you’re sure to find the best electric fireplace to suit your needs amongst them.
| #1 - Touchstone Sideline Recessed || Very Realistic Flame Effect||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Elkmont Salem Antique Oak || Energy Efficient Heating||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - PuraFlame 33″ Western: Fully Remote Controlled || Fully Remote Controlled||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- Our Top 10 Best Electric Fireplace Recommendations
- 1. Touchstone Sideline Recessed: Very Realistic Flame Effect
- 2. Elkmont Salem Antique Oak: Energy Efficient Heating
- 3. PuraFlame 33″ Western: Fully Remote Controlled
- 4. GMHome 40″ Wall Mounted: Changeable Flame Color
- 5. AKDY 23″ Freestanding Lifesmart: Cheap And Effective
- 6. Duraflame Infrared Quartz Fireplace: Freestanding Stove Option
- 7. Pleasant Hearth Sheridan Mobile Infrared Fireplace
- 8. ClassicFlame 36″ Traditional: Great Value For Money
- 9. 3G Plus 40″ Wall Mounted: Cool Modern Design
- 10. Ameriwood Home Chicago: Limited Functions
- What Features You Need To Focus On
To keep you warm in those cold winter months you’ll have a choice of two different heat settings: high and low. High to warm you up and then turn down to low when you get too hot. And that just without having to move from the sofa as settings are changed by remote control. And for that extra bit of comfort there are five settings for your choice of flame. You can choose from a soft looking ember glow or have a blazing glow. The glow from the flame will provide you with a lovely cozy feeling on those dark winter nights while the crystals and faux logs offer comfort. You’ll love it.
If you just like the glow of a fire without heat, no problem with this model. It even has a timer built in so you can set it to switch off any time between 30 minutes and seven and a half hours.
Although this fireplace has been designed as a recessed unit it is also possible to mount it on the surface. It will heat up to 400 square feet but possibly the heat won’t be enough for you in such a large room.
- Two settings for heat
- Realistic flame with choice of three colors
- Multiple modes
- Includes glass crystal and fire log
- Set into wall but can also be surface mounted
- Heat and lights can’t be run independently
- Doesn’t heat larger rooms effectively
If it’s a rustic antique look you want for your room, then you’ve found it. With its aged distressed wood grain feature each item is unique. You’ll have a completely realistic free standing electric fireplace whose flames flicker from the glowing embers in many different colors.
With its remote control you’ll be able to control the thermostat, the flames and logs and also the timer. What’s more, there’s a child safety lock on it. Also the heat shuts off automatically as soon as the temperature is reached so there’s no need to worry about the glass front becoming too hot.
It radiates enough heat to warm up 400 square feet so you’re guaranteed a cozy warm ambience in whichever room you place it. And with 1500 watt and 12 volt it is energy efficient so you won’t have to worry about high heating costs.
The mantel supports up to 85 lbs, which means you can place a flat screen TV of up to 43.24” on it.
You’ll be able to enjoy this product all year round – with heat in winter and without for extra comfort for any cooler summer nights.
- Heats up to 400 square feet
- Unique age distressed oak finish
- Energy efficient
- Thermostat for adjusting the heat
- Includes logs for a realistic looking flame
- Assembly instructions a little confusing – problem of translating
- Color is slightly different to what is shown due to uniqueness
This classic product is energy saving due to the LED technology. Its most attractive feature is the brick design of three of its sides. This adds to the effect of the coal and resin log base, which gives a more realistic effect to the flame. There’s a downlighter so you can choose just how bright your hearth should be. With 3 flames that vary in intensity, you’ll enjoy watching them dancing up from the ember bed of the logs. They even glow in different shades so look like the real thing. It’s the perfect comfort zone for those extra cold winter nights. But for the not so cold nights you can still enjoy the cozy feeling, but with the heat switched off.
The temperature ranges from 60 degrees Fahrenheit to 84 degrees Fahrenheit and will heat a room up to 400 square feet in size by blowing out air.
The operating panel is simple to use and allows you to control the temperature to your own comfort level. There’s also a remote control but the control panel must be switched on before it can be used.
- LED technology is energy saving
- Walls are designed with a brick effect
- Logs with 3 flames dancing from them
- Temperature control
- Remote control for comfort
- The fan is a little loud
- Logs not completely realistic looking
You’ll be able to wall mount this fireplace but it can also be used as a free standing one if necessary. This is great if you like modern décor, it won’t look out of place.
This product is one of the few that offers such a choice of colors for the crystal stone flame, 9 in all, ranging from white, blue, green and yellow to a mixture of these colors. There are even 5 settings for the brightness of the flame. These can be easily changed by means of the remote control.
There are two heat settings: 750 watt and 1500 watt so you can use the cooler setting for the days when it’s not so cold and the higher one for when it’s freezing cold outside. You’ll find you have just the right temperature without ending up too hot or too cold. What’s more, there’s a cut-off device to prevent overheating.
For an all year ambience you can even enjoy the effect of the flame rising without having to put on the heat.
You won’t need to worry about having someone to help you install it, either. It’s so simple to install – it won’t take more than a few minutes.
- Freestanding or can be wall mounted if required
- Realistic flame on crystal stone
- A choice of 9 colors for the flame
- Operates with or without heat
- Simple to install
- Has a clicking whistling sound
- Some lighting not bright enough
If you already have a fireplace recess that you don’t use, this sleek electronic product will fill up the space for you nicely. It looks realistic with its brick background and the logs simulating flames. There are even 22 levels of heating to choose from just by pressing a button. And it can be set for Fahrenheit or Celsius temperatures depending on what you prefer. No more mess that you had with that old wood burning fireplace.
From the comfort of your sofa you’ll be able to control your fireplace with the remote control gadget. You can adjust the flame to your own requirements. And you won’t need to worry about forgetting to switch it off as there’s a special feature to shut it off to avoid overheating. After all, safety is important for your family.
The heat range is from 62 degrees to 82 degrees Fahrenheit, which is enough to heat up a room up to 400 square feet.
- Flame is adjustable
- Temperature range from 62-82 degrees Fahrenheit
- Remote control for convenience
- Timer function and shut-off feature for safety
- Simple to install within a few minutes and it’s cheap
- Flames not high enough
- Doesn’t blow out much warm air
This is an ideal freestanding stove option if your living space isn’t too big. It’s portable which makes it convenient to place exactly where you need to have heat. Being as it gives out infrared heat you can be sure of getting warm but you won’t lose the natural humidity from the air in your room. This means no more dry skin and airways for your family.
Although it’s ideal for smaller spaces it does allow you to heat up to 1,000 square feet.
It has a completely realistic flame and watching the flames dance between the logs gives the feeling of sitting in front of a log fire. You can set the brightness to suit your mood, the weather or your room as there are five settings.
For a good ambience when the weather isn’t so cold you can still have the comfort of the embers glowing from the log without having the heat switched on. With the remote control you can decide for yourself which setting you want without having to leave the sofa.
The plug has a built in thermometer that shuts off when the appliance becomes overheated thus preventing the chance of a fire breaking out.
- Realistic flames dance behind logs
- 5 adjustments for speed, brightness and color
- Maintains humidity in air due to infrared heat
- Shuts off when overheated has a timer
- Adjustable thermostat
- Not warm enough for larger rooms
- The fan makes a slight noise
No need for assembly, when it arrives all you need to do is install the casters, which are optional, then plug it in! You can forget about having to do any plumbing work or venting with this model. It’s ideal for smaller rooms as it’s so compact. This heater will fit in any corner, but it also heats up to 1,000 square feet of space without making the air dry.
The optional castors make it easily portable, which means that you can place it wherever you need the heat most, even in the center of a room. You can enjoy the coziness of a fireplace effect without heat for slightly warmer days or choose from the 5 levels offered for heat when it’s colder. You can also customize the brightness of the flame to suit your mood with the 3 different levels offered.
There is a blackboard at the back for more effect when the flames are dancing. The glowing embers are so realistic looking that you’ll love it. Just beware of young kids around it as it could be a little too hot if on for a longer period of time.
- No need for assembling
- Great for use in smaller rooms but also suitable for larger ones
- Gives heat up to 1000 square feet
- Offers 5 levels of heat and 3 levels of flame brightness
- No plumbing or venting necessary
- Could get a little hot if on for too long
- Can’t be set on timer
If you don’t have much floor space this is idea as it can be mounted on the wall. The style is rather bold but completely modern looking. It will provide you with the warmth that you need but still offers the ambiance you’d have with a real fireplace.
It will be an added attraction to your décor while offering you extra warmth for colder days and nights. But if you don’t want the warmth, but want to enjoy the sight of flames flickering then you can just switch it on to flame only for effect.
The remote control has multi functions such as the chance to customize the fireplace. This is possible with the nine downlight and nine uplight options for color.
There is a timer function so you can set it for however long you want the room to be heated and, of course, it’s also thermostat controlled. It will heat a room that’s up to 400 square feet but whether it’ll heat it enough for you is for you to know.
- Timer function
- 5 brightness settings for flame
- Operates with or without heat
- Thermostat controlled
- Heats up to 400 square feet
- The flame doesn’t have a great variety of colors
- It doesn’t heat a larger room enough
A must if you want something contemporary looking that will enhance the décor of your room. As it can be mounted onto the wall you won’t need to worry about not having enough floor space.
The flame is realistic looking and changes from blue to red or to a mixture of blue and red. The heat setting can be fixed at either high or low and will give out enough heat for a room measuring up to 400 square feet.
The timer can be set from 1 hour up to 8 hours and the temperature can be controlled from 62 degrees Fahrenheit to 82 degrees Fahrenheit. Overheating is no problem as there is a cut off safety device for your protection.
The remote control can be used to switch it on and off, for temperature control, for dimming the flame or changing the color of the flame. What’s more, it will only take a few minutes for you to install it.
- Enhances décor of a room
- Flames glow with or without heat
- Heats up to 400 square feet of space
- Three different colors for flame
- Remote control for convenience
- LED colors don’t always work perfectly
- Possibly too deep for some rooms
This one is not a favorite but it is OK. Ideally it should be avoided. It does have the advantage of offering storage space either side where you can store either books or DVDs. There’s also an open shelf at the top for a cable box or even for a Blu-ray player if need be.
The console will support a flat screen TV of up to 50” if it doesn’t weigh more than 70 lbs.
You can store up to 30 lbs. in weight on the open shelf and 20 lbs. each in the storage spaces either side.
The flame, which is lit by LED, can be enjoyed even when the heat is not switched on so you can enjoy this fireplace all year round whatever the weather.
It will need assembling and this is not possible with one person alone. You’ll need to be sure of finding someone who knows what he’s doing to help you with this.
- Plenty of storage space offered
- Supports TV measuring up to 50” and weighing 70 lbs.
- LED lighting for the flames
- Use with or without heat
- Heats up to 400 square feet of space
- No remote control
- Can’t be assembled alone
What Features You Need To Focus On
Before purchasing such a product you really have to be certain of exactly what you are looking for. Being as it’s bulky, it’s not something you can just return easily if you find you’d ordered the wrong product by not considering what you needed before ordering it. There are a couple of features we consider to be extremely important. Maybe after reading them you’ll be able to realize exactly what you are looking for.
- Should it be easy to install? Maybe it’s no problem to knock out a wall if you own your own property. But this could be a problem if you live in a rental unit. Depending on which product you choose installation is quite simple. Some products are free standing so only need to be plugged in to the nearest socket. A great choice if your home is small. If you don’t have much floor space there are some that can be attached to the wall. Others will need two people to be able to install it.
- Is design important to you? You’re not going to feel comfortable in a room if you have an object that doesn’t match your decor at all. Perhaps you want a modern electric fireplace. Maybe you like the rustic antique look, or is something more contemporary what you’re looking for? Maybe it’s important that you can stand your TV on it or perhaps you’d be glad of some extra storage space as well.
- How important is safety? This is extremely important to consider if there are going to be young kids running around unsupervised. The advantage of electric fireplaces is that there’s no fear of your child falling into the fire, but some models can still get a little hot. Many of them offer a shut-off feature so there’ll be no fear of overheating – an advantage if you leave home and realize that you’ve forgotten to switch it off.
- Do you want the flame to be realistic? Most electric fireplaces use LEDs for color and for the intensity of color they offer. It’s the LEDs that make the flame look realistic. Some products offer a vast array of colors while others offer only two or three. You need to decide whether color change is important to you or do you want to stick with the basics.
- Is it important that you can regulate the temperature? Maybe you’ll be content with just high and low settings. Perhaps you also want something with a blower to distribute the heat. Some products offer a thermostat for customizing the temperature. But one important fact to consider is also do you want a no-heat setting so you can enjoy the firelight without having extra heat in the room.
Now that you’ve considered which features you want we’re certain that you’ll find the exact indoor electric fireplace to suit your needs amongst the 10 electric fireplaces mentioned above. So, what are you waiting for – you can order them all over amazon and the sooner you order the sooner you’ll be able to enjoy the comfort it will give you.