No formal dressing is considered as complete without the perfect scent! It enhances your appearance and adds to your presence as you walk into a room and make people take notice of you.
However, the secret is simpe – to get it right! A perfume too strong and it might end up giving the people close to you a headache. Too light and there is really no use of you putting it on in the first place. The first prerogative of a scent ought to be that it is to your own liking and reflects your personal taste.
Another great thing about best mens cologne is that they make great presents. Whether it is a birthday or an anniversary, a good fragrance for men will get you out of the fix in no time. And they work just as well if you’re thinking of rewarding yourself for a job well done or because you deserve to enjoy the good things in life for yourself every once in a while. In any case, here is a list of the top ten best scents of 2019.2
Top 10 Best Colognes For Men In 2019 Compared
Here are the top 10 best mens fragrances to buy in 2019:
| #1 - Nautical Voyage by Nautica for Men – Eau De Toilette Spray 3.4 Oz: || Eau de Toilette Spray 3.4 Oz||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Aqua Di Gio by Giorgio Armani for Men || It is timeless||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - Guess Seductive Men EDT Spray || Perfect scent for everyday use.||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- 1. Nautical Voyage by Nautica for Men – Eau De Toilette Spray 3.4 Oz:
- 2. Aqua Di Gio by Giorgio Armani for Men
- 3. Guess Seductive Men EDT Spray
- 4. Christian Dior Homme Eau for Men by Christian Dior
- 5. Yves Saint Laurent L’Homme Perfume: Intense Spray For Men
- 6. Prada Luna Rossa Sport Eau De Toilette Spray
- 7. Mont Blanc Legend Eau De Toilette Spray
- 8. Clive Christian “C” For Men Perfume Spray
- 9. Pit Bull Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
- 10. Givenchy Pi Cologne For Men 3.4 Oz Eau De Toilette
- How to Choose the Best Cologne for Men
- A Little Terminology
- What Is Aftershave?
- How Do Fragrances Work?
- How to Shop For Perfumes For Men
- Fragrance Allergies
- The Application of Fragrances
- When Should You Apply Your Cologne?
- What Size of Bottle Should You Buy?
- Types of Cologne Scent
Nautica Voyage has a scent that will take you to another place; one of peace and tranquillity. Its scent is vast much like the ingredients that account for its refreshing and relaxing notes. You can get a hint of apple with a nice, subtle mix of forest wood and natural herbs. Nautica Voyage is composed of Sailcloth Accord, Green Leaf, Drenched Mimosa, Musk, Cedarwood, Amber, and Moss.
- Scent is mild enough to be used anywhere and for any occasion.
- Affordably priced compared to other branded perfumes.
- 1-2 sprays are enough to get a strong indication of the scent.
- Even women love the scent of Nautical Voyage on themselves.
- Good quantity of perfume at 3.4 ounces per bottle.
- Contains less perfume oil compared to Eau de Parfum; 5% – 9% versus 8% – 14%, therefore, the scent is not as intense.
- Scent does not last long; approximately 6 hours.
Acqua di Gio is a classic cologne for men. It is timeless. People who get a whiff of its sweet, fruity scent are taken back to unforgettable moments in their lives. The unmistakable blend of Lemon, Lime, Orange, and Mandarin Orange that are softened by a combination of Jasmine and Neroli gives out the familiar scent which is Acqua di Gio.
- Scent lasts long; approximately 8 hours.
- Only 1 – 2 sprays will be enough to give you the right scent.
- Good sized bottle and quantity of perfume at 3.4 ounces.
- Classic scent that people are already familiar with.
- Scent might be too strong or overpowering for some people.
- Price is on the high side; some people may find the cologne too expensive compared to other brands.
Guess has come up with the perfect scent for everyday use. Best of all, the cologne is very affordable. This spray gives out interesting notes with hints of Cardamom Milk, Musk, earthy Sandalwood, and Musk. Do you detect Pink Pepper? Yes, because the scent is there!
- Light and fragrant smell; ideal for men who prefer a more discreet scent that is not overpowering.
- Lasts long; approximately 8 hours.
- Friendly price; very affordable for a branded cologne.
- Not ideal for men who do not like cologne that has a “sweet” scent.
- For those who prefer a more pronounced scent, you may have to put spray it on more than 1-2 times.
Are you allergic to certain ingredients? Christian Dior has got you covered. Its line of Homme Eau for Men is gluten- free. This scent of this cologne evokes the great outdoors with a hint of Grapefruit and Bergamot with subtle touches of soft Cedar and Iris.
- Product is gluten-free.
- Ideal cologne for those who prefer a stronger, more masculine scent.
- Scent does not stick to clothes.
- Price is on the high side; much more expensive compared to other branded colognes.
- Scent does not last long; approximately 4 to 6 hours.
If you want a scent that will have heads turning, Yves Saint Laurent L’Homme Perfume is it. It may have a light and delicate fragrance but it leaves a nice, lasting trail that will make people notice. You will clearly detect the respective scents of Lavender, Vanilla, Cedar, and Iris. The beautifully crafted glass bottle alone is worth the price.
- Light and subtle fragrance; perfect for men who prefer a delicate scent.
- Great sillage; scent leaves a good trail.
- More ideal as a scent for intimate use such as for dating and snuggling.
- Great visual presentation; packaged in a beautiful cylindrical glass bottle.
- Scent does not last long; approximately 3 hours.
- Fragrance might be too weak for daily use.
- Scent can be considered common and can be found in other colognes that are better priced.
- Priced on the high side even when compared to other high-end branded colognes.
Prada Luna Rossa is exactly how a sport cologne should be. Strong and masculine; a scent that lasts long but is not overwhelming to the senses, you can detect Juniper berries, Vanilla, and Lavender among its fragrant notes.
- Strong and masculine scent without being overpowering.
- Scent lasts long before a re-application is needed; approximately 7 hours.
- Some men describe the scent as “feminine” and “powdery” which could be one reason why even women use this cologne.
- Priced on the high side.
Mont Blanc is a brand that has developed a reputation for excellence, class, and elegance. It is a brand that is often associated with opulence. Mont Blanc Legend exudes a fragrance that signifies “success” and a feel for the good life. The scent can be considered sharp and strong with highly-focused notes of Pineapple Leaf, Bergamot, Oakmoss, Geranium, Apple, Sandalwood, Rose, Tonka, and Verbena.
- Good masculine smell; strong but not overpowering.
- Draws compliments usually from the older crowd.
- Fragrance is described as “sexy”, “clean” and “fresh”.
- Scent does not last long; usually 4 hours before re-application is needed.
- Price is on the high side; comparatively more expensive that other branded colognes.
If you’re looking for the proper scent for important events, spray on Clive Christina C for Men. The fragrance may be hard to discern at first but you can readily detect the hint of citrus. The complex scent can be attributed to its long list of ingredients which include an assortment of fruits, herbs, and earthy fragrances.
- Complex fragrant notes but predominantly citrus; ideal for formal occasions and business meetings.
- Great packaging.
- Scent has been described as “classy”, “formal”, and “elegant”.
- Very expensive cologne.
- Scent may not be appealing to those who prefer simpler fragrances.
You don’t have to be a fan of Pit Bull to wear his cologne. Pit Bull Eau du Toilette spray for men is provocative with its masculine scent. Its fragrance is a product of a variety of ingredients which include Bergamot, Mandarin, Cardamom, Sage, and expertly blended with Violet Floracy and Verbena. Whether Pit Bull really wears it or not does not matter. Put it on and live like a rockstar!
- Masculine fragrance but not too strong or overpowering.
- Very affordably priced, budget friendly cologne.
- Discreet smell; can only be noticed when up-close.
- Scent has been described as “delicious”, “sexy”, and “fresh”.
- Some users found the scent to be “musty” and “old”.
- Scent does not last long; frequent re-application is needed.
Givenchy Pi Cologne is not as complex as the formula for Pi. In fact it is the opposite. The cologne gives out a simple, subtle, and subdued scent yet, you will be able to pick out the familiar fragrance of Basil, Pine Needle, and Indium. Although a bit on the high-end pricing scale, Givenchy Pi Cologne will certainly cast a few stares along your way.
- Masculine fragrance without being too strong and overpowering.
- Scent lasts long without need for immediate re-application.
- Scent draws compliments.
- Fragrance has been described as “sexy” or “sensual”.
- Very pricey, expensive cologne.
- There have been complaints on how effective the sprayer works
How to Choose the Best Cologne for Men
It is said that up to 80% of men do not wear any fragrance. Some men may feel that it is not manly, or maybe they just don’t know what kind of scent to wear. Men are just not as comfortable making decisions about their appearance and presentation as women are. The truth is that by omitting this aspect of your presentation, you are missing out on a potentially important tool.
Your scent can do much to trigger emotions and memories in other people. It is also very important in letting people know who you are and what you are about. For sure, you must be careful not to wear just any scent that comes your way. If you are a businessman, you don’t want to smell like you just emerged from the locker room. With a little bit of advice and a few pointers, you will be well on your way to knowing how to pick and wear the right fragrance.
A Little Terminology
You first must be aware of some terms that refer to different types of fragrance products. The following is a list of them.
The word ‘cologne’, contrary to what some think, does not denote gender. The term refers to a kind of perfume. The term ‘perfume’ is not just for women’s scents. However, sometimes marketing does make this distinction.
There are five concentration levels of fragrances. They will be printed on the label of your product of choice:
This refers to a product with 20-30 percent fragrance. This is basically perfume extract. This is the highest concentration of perfume. The rest of the product is alcohol and water. It is the most expensive form, and a small amount will remain with you for 24 hours.
Eau de Parfum
This kind of product will contain 15-20 percent fragrance. This is the most common level of dilution. An application of it will stay with you for five to eight hours.
Eau de Toilette
5-15 percent fragrance. This is a light mixture that contains some alcohol. It is cheaper than the above varieties and will only remain with you for a few hours.
Eau de Cologne
2-5 percent fragrance – The difference between this term and the term “cologne” is that this term denotes a certain dilution. The latter term is a generic term for men’s fragrances.
1-3 percent – This is a rare level of concentration. It basically is mere scented water.
What Is Aftershave?
There is a big difference between a product that is only a fragrance for men, versus an aftershave. An aftershave is used for two different purposes in addition to just smelling great. First, it will completely clear out your pores from any bacteria that remains from the shaving cream. Second, it seals your pores to prevent any additional dirt or bacteria from coming in. The ingredient that does this is called an astringent. So, aftershaves serve a much different purpose than colognes do.
A fragrance is not just one unified entity. It is usually complex. The components of the scent, however, work together, alter, and complement each other. You can’t judge a fragrance by your first impression. You must give it some time to evolve.
The top note is what you notice immediately after you apply a fragrance. It is the first to disappear over time. It consists of lighter ingredients. These may include citruses, florals, and aromatics.
After the top note has vanished, the middle note lingers on. It will do so for three to five hours. It is also referred to as the heart note. This is due to the fact that it is the main theme of the fragrance. Since this is so, you can anticipate that it will consist of heavier scents.
This foundational scent occurs later than the others and stays with you the longest. It will do so for five to ten hours. This note consists of rich components such as musk.
If the base note would be smelled immediately, it might not be so pleasing. Since the top and middle notes evolve before, the base note will soften before it is noticed.
How to Shop For Perfumes For Men
It is important that you actually go to the store to try on fragrances. Fragrances smell different on different men. This is a result of the varieties of body chemistry types in men. But once you have smelled one, the cheapest place to buy them is online. The links above will bring you to the best prices.
First, you should put the scents on blotter paper to get a general idea of what you might like. Then, you can try on up to four at a time. Try on one on each wrist and one on each elbow. You need to live with each scent for the day. Since the scents evolve, you must see what each smells like throughout the day under conditions of normal activity.
To get an objective opinion, have your mate give you a whiff as well. The scent you pick should be one that compliments your personality and style. Make sure that it adds to your confidence level.
As time goes on, the complexity of fragrances is on the rise. Since there are more ingredients involved, there is a greater possibility that you might be allergic to something in your cologne.
The allergy symptoms that you may experience include the following:
– Watery eyes
– Inability to concentrate
– Skin reactions
If you are experiencing one or more of the symptoms mentioned above, you should be mindful of the fact that it may be a result of the fragrance that you or your partner are wearing. It is easy to remedy the situation. Simply discontinue the use of that fragrance. Keep in mind that you may be allergic to other fragrances that are in the same category of scent.
The Application of Fragrances
While it may be an obvious point, a simple piece of advice is that you don’t want to wear too much cologne. If you douse your body in a fragrance, it could actually do more harm than good. Your target should be to apply the right quantity of best mens cologne without offending in any way those who are around you.
The key places where you should apply cologne are known as “pulse points.” Typically speaking, your chest is the best location to apply your cologne. This is particularly the case around the base of your throat. Application at this location allows the cologne to intermix with your natural odors and pheromones.
Also, a little bit of cologne applied under each ear will get the attention of a person who is very close to you. Some men might apply it on their wrists. If you do this, you should remember not to rub it into your skin. The friction might break down the molecules, resulting in the dissipation of the fragrance.
Something else to keep in mind is the type of skin that you have. If you have oily skin, then the fragrance will remain longer on your body. For this reason, if you have dry skin, you may want to apply a little extra cologne.
When Should You Apply Your Cologne?
The best time to apply your cologne is after a nice, hot shower. At that time, your skin pores will be more open. This will help your body capture the fragrance better. If you apply it when you are dirty, then you may not come out smelling so nice.
What is also the case is that it is not good to combine too many fragrances together. Strong scents that come from soap, deodorant, or body washes will not combine well with your best mens cologne. These scents will either cover up the smell of your cologne or alter it. You can use products that either have no scent or only a light scent.
Your lifestyle can also impact how you turn out smelling. You need to be mindful of what you are putting into your body. If you are a regular smoker or drinker, your habit may cause an odor issue. Spicy foods that contain a lot of garlic and onions may not always be a good idea for your presentation either.
What Size of Bottle Should You Buy?
Outside of the issue of price, you need to determine what the best size of bottle is that you should purchase. The rule is basically simple; If you are trying out a new fragrance, then you will probably want t buy a small package. There is always the chance that the novelty of the new scent will wear off over time, and you might get sick of it.
Also, you don’t know how the people around you are going to react to your new scent. If you find that people love the new scent, then you can always stock up on it. If they react badly, then you only took a risk with a small bottle.
If you have an old favorite fragrance, then you might save some money by buying a large bottle. However, you may want to change your signature scent every once in a while, so that you and the people around you don’t get sick of it.
Types of Cologne Scent
Despite the fact that there are so many new types of scents available on the market today, they typically fall into a group of categories. The following is a list of these categories:
Men usually think that floral scents are meant for women. This is not always the case, however. Some men’s colognes are now using floral scents. The way that this is done is to combine the floral notes with musk or sandalwood base notes to give the cologne a more masculine sense.
This expression refers to the citrusy notes that are present in a lot of the colognes that are meant for spring and summer. Citrus notes are also present in some spicier fragrances that are great for use during the winter.
This type of scent is present in some of the more woodsy colognes. This type of fragrance often incorporates notes of oak moss or sage. This fragrance is great for a man who wants to smell like the forest or who spends much of his time outdoors.
This type of cologne incorporates grassy or green notes. It is typically a light fragrance. The fact that it is a light scent makes it great for relaxing on the weekend or for the summertime.
This type of fragrance has been extremely popular for a while now. It is classified by what type of spices are contained in it. Colognes of this kind many times include darker notes of musk and amber that give the fragrance an exotic finish.
Great for the summertime, this is a light type of fragrance. This type of scent is not appropriate for work, but works well for leisure time.
We have seen that picking the best cologne for men is a little more complicated than it may seem at first blush. You should definitely experiment around with different types of fragrances in different types of situations to see what is best for you. What you should remember is that even though you wear a cologne to present yourself well to other people, the bottom line is that it is important first and foremost to please yourself. Whatever appeals to you and makes you feel confident and happy is the right choice for you. The best cologne for men is the best one for you.