One of the most physically tiring parts of parenting is having to carry around a baby or toddler. Yes, you have your stroller as well, but there are many situations where your stroller is just not convenient. Just carrying even a small baby will quickly become a big strain.
That strain is not just tiring, but it can also lead to bad posture and pains in your neck shoulders and back. And such pains are not something you want to have to deal with in a busy parenting life.
One of the greatest solutions is something that has been used in most cultures all over the world for thousands of years. For some reason though, a lot of parents don’t look into the use of slings and carriers. If you have used one before, then you know how much of a life saver they are.
If this is your first time looking to buy one, then you are in for a real treat. The quicker you can get your hands on one the sooner you will understand how much more flexibility you’ll have in your life.
To help you through the process of finding a suitable carrier for your needs, we have done extensive research. Over months of looking at specifications and what other parents are saying we have managed to compile this list of best baby carrier reviews.
Just keep reading and pick one that will suit your needs and budget the best.
Table of Contents
- Our Top 10 Best Baby Carrier Recommendations
- 1 – NimNik Baby Sling
- 2 – Lumiere Baby Carrier
- 3 – BabyBjorn One
- 4 – MiaMily Hipster Plus
- 5 – Bebamour New Style Designer Sling
- 6 – BABYBJORN Newborn Baby Carrier
- 7 – Mo+m Fashion Convertible Baby Carrier
- 8 – LILLEbaby Embossed Luxe
- 9 – Tula Urbanista Carrier
- 10 – LILLEbaby 360° Ergonomic
- What Features To Look Out For
- Different Positions
- Suitable Climates
- Size Restrictions
Our Top 10 Best Baby Carrier Recommendations
1 – NimNik Baby Sling
Finally, we bring you one of the best lightweight baby carrier options we have found. This NimNim product will bring you excellent features and is ideally suited for wearing it for long periods of time. Using lots of breathable mesh, it reduces the weight and also provides great air circulation.
You can use it in 4 different positions on your front or back. That means that as your child grows you can quickly adapt it into a more convenient set up. All the straps can be easily accessed and adjusted. That way your baby is always secure and protected.
To make sure you don’t cause any damage to your back, there is excellent lumber, shoulder and back support. With the extra thick and padded waistband, you can make sure all the weight is evenly spread out.
The main downside is that you won’t be able to use this model for a newborn or toddler over 33 pounds. For everything in between, it will work excellently though.
- Safe and breathable mesh fabric to provide temperature control
- 3 small pockets provided to keep some essentials handy
- 4 different positions give you great flexibility
- Easily adjustable straps to provide a snug fit
- Excellent lumber support to avoid back pain
- Not suitable for newborn
- Weight limit is only 33 pounds
2 – Lumiere Baby Carrier
One of the best products for temperature control is this Lumiere one. It uses a lot of breathable mesh that gives excellent air circulation. As a result, you reduce the amount of sweating that can happen in hot weather.
If you plan to use it for a newborn, then the good news is that you won’t need any type of insert. These can be a bit annoying and it just adds an extra piece that needs to be held in place while you also try to get your baby in.
If you’re worried about back pain when using it for longer periods then you need to know about the great back and lumber support. All the weight is evenly distributed and your posture is encouraged to provide a straight back.
Your child will also be very safely supported. With multiple straps and seat adjustments, you can set it up so that your child is always securely held. The only downside is that some of the pockets can be a bit awkward to reach. And you might need some help to adjust the back straps when you are wearing it.
- Excellent temperature control with breathable mesh
- Suitable from newborn without the need for insert
- Great lumber support to avoid bad posture and back pain
- Easily removable sleeping hood
- Multiple seat and strap adjustments to make it perfect for your child
- Some pockets are not easily accessible
- Adjusting straps can require some help
3 – BabyBjorn One
The second BabyBjorn product on this list is the revised original and most popular model. With a mid-range price tag, you get many features to keep busy parents going. There are 4 different carrying positions between front and back. That way you can adapt as your child grows into toddler years.
Your newborn will be fully support with excellent neck and head padding for added protection. And your own back will be protected with the shoulder and back support straps and padding. These reduce strain by balancing out and spreading the weight more evenly.
You can also choose from multiple different colors to suit your own style and match it up with some of your other baby gear. It can often be annoying to net get something that fits with your own personal color scheme.
- 4 different front and back carrying positions for added convenience
- Easily adapts to your baby’s growth rate
- Excellent shoulder and back support reduces pains
- Great option for newborns due to excellent head support
- Available in multiple colors to suit your style
- Limited to 33 pounds maximum weight
- Some might find the waist strap a bit low fitting
4 – MiaMily Hipster Plus
This MiaMily is one of the high-end items you can choose, and it will give you everything you could possibly need. It is perfectly suitable from newborn up to 40 pounds weight. That means your baby can grow and you simply adapt to them.
The premium materials used make it very comfortable and soft. And with the multiple mesh layers you can quickly adapt to different temperature conditions. To add some more convenience there is a good size storage pocket included. This makes it easy to get hold of some of the most essential items you might need at a moment’s notice.
If you have any concerns about providing the most ergonomic position, then MiaMily has you covered. Guidelines from the Hip Dysplasia Institute have been used to make sure that your baby’s hips, back and even neck are always aligned and supported.
- Suitable from newborn to 40 pounds
- Can be used on front and back for greater flexibility
- Premium quality materials include multiple mesh layers to adapt to weather conditions
- Great storage pouch included to keep a few essentials
- Hip Dysplasia Institute guidelines were used to ensure ideal set up
- Zips can come slightly loose
- Some might find it a bit bulky
5 – Bebamour New Style Designer Sling
One of the most stylish products on this list is this Bebamour one. It looks great and is available in multiple colors to suit your style. With the advanced lumber and shoulder support, you’ll be able to carry your loved one for extended periods of time without causing pain and discomfort.
And your baby will be just as comfortable as well. The entire product was designed to make sure you provide an ergonomically ideal support. And that works for both front and back wearing.
The mesh cover allows you to easily provide ventilation on hot days. That can reduce the amount of sweating which just makes babies grumpy. The design of this product also makes it one of the best baby carrier for nursing choices you have.
As one of the best cheap baby carrier options, you will get a load of features that make your everyday life a lot easier. This includes a small hood to protect your child from sun, wind and rain.
- Advanced lumber and shoulder support to reduce strain on your back
- Ventilated mesh material makes sure your baby stays cool
- Excellent value for money
- Ideal for breastfeeding mothers
- Suitable for front and back wearing
- Back clips are a bit hard to reach
- Waist belt can become a bit warm to wear
6 – BABYBJORN Newborn Baby Carrier
If you are looking for a small, light and convenient carrier then this Babybjorn model is exactly what you need. Despite being so small it provides exceptional support for your child. The entire design was done with the help of medical experts to ensure that neck, back and hips are put into the best possible and natural position.
If you’re planning to use this for a newborn then the great news is that you won’t need to add any inserts. That makes the entire thing easier to put on. And getting your baby in and out is very easy as well. This could be the best newborn baby carrier for you.
To make sure it is always kept hygienic you can just put it in your washing machine with the rest of your laundry. If it’s in regular use then you should aim to do that on a regular basis to avoid any buildup of dirt or germs.
One thing to be aware of is that this product is only suitable for front wearing and it has a max weight capacity of 25 pounds. This is a bit limiting but it’s still a fantastic product and we would designate this to be the best front baby carrier available.
- Ideal for newborns with no insert required
- Designed using medical advice for optimum ergonomic support
- Very easy to put on and get your baby in
- Excellent head support for young babies
- Machine washable at low temperatures
- Only suitable for front wearing
- Maximum weight is only 25 pounds
7 – Mo+m Fashion Convertible Baby Carrier
For some excellent comfort, this Mo+m product is one of the go to options. The waist strap has been fully padded. That means that no matter position you wear it, the weight will be comfortably distributed around your body. This reduces localized strain and will improve your overall posture.
With vented mesh materials, you baby will remain cool and comfortable even in hot conditions. When you’re a busy mom on the go, you can’t afford to worry about your child being too hot.
With a maximum weight up to 45 pounds, you’ll be able to easily adapt to your growing toddler. And because you always need stuff at hand wherever you go, there are lots of pockets to store stuff like keys, phone and other baby essentials.
If you have a young infant then the important thing to look out for is head and back support. The back support needs to encourage a straight position to avoid any damaging being done and this Mo+m product will give you that peace of mind. It also provides excellent head support for very young babies.
- 3 different set up positions on front back and hip
- Lots of pockets to keep small essentials handy
- Vented mesh keeps your baby cool and reduces sweating
- Suitable up to 45 pound weight makes it suitable for young babies and toddlers
- Great head support for small babies
- No forward facing set up
- Can be awkward to put on by yourself
8 – LILLEbaby Embossed Luxe
You might notice this is the second LILLEBaby product on our list. That is because in recent years this company has been able to create some exceptionally great products. This Luxe model is a bit cheaper than the first one above, mainly due to not using 100% organic materials.
But that doesn’t mean you’re getting something less suitable. The materials and design are excellent and will provide you with 6 different positions to choose from. These cover front and back as well as on the hip for those times when it’s just more convenient.
With excellent shoulder and waist padding, you will have all the support you need. It reduces strain and fatigue making it ideal even for long days out. And your child will have the same level of support for head and back.
There is even a convenient hood that can be easily removed or just rolled up when not in use. This can help to provide shade or protection from windy conditions.
The main downside is that it can be a bit difficult to strap up the shoulder buckles. Despite this we think this is one of the best baby carrier for newborn options you have.
- 6 different front and back positions
- Machine washable makes cleaning easy
- Very good shoulder and waist padding reduces fatigue
- Suitable from newborn to toddler
- Hood can be easily rolled up or removed
- Shoulder strap buckles take a bit of getting used to
- Can be a bit warm in hot climates
9 – Tula Urbanista Carrier
One of the easiest to use on our list of best baby carrier reviews is this Tula option. Attaching it and getting your baby in and out is very easy. With just a bit of practice you’ll be able to do it on your own in no time.
As any parent will know, anything your baby uses a lot during the day will regularly have stuff spilled on. And for hygiene purposes you will want to make sure that it’s regularly cleaned. As this is completely machine washable you’ll be able to just throw it in with the rest of your laundry.
Suitable from 15 to 45 pounds you will get great back and neck support for infants and toddlers. This is very important if your loved one cannot hold their own head yet. For a lot of moms this will be the best baby carrier for breastfeeding.
- Suitable from 15 up to 45 pounds
- Machine washable makes it easy to keep clean
- Can be worn on front and back
- Very easy to get baby in and out
- Great convenience for breast feeding
- Black model will show a lot of dust and dirt
- Not usable from birth without an insert (not included)
10 – LILLEbaby 360° Ergonomic
If you want to provide the most natural and comfortable environment for your baby then this LILLEBaby carrier is quite possibly your best option. Made with organically grown cotton you can make sure that you have the safest possible fabrics for your loved one.
What is really great about this model is that you can use it in 6 different configurations to cover front, back and side. This gives you great flexibility, especially with the side or hip wearing position. Sometimes, it’s just not convenient to have you baby right in front of you.
The entire design attempts to make it as comfortable and ergonomically friendly as possible for your baby and you. With plenty of padding on your hips and shoulders, you won’t feel pressure or discomfort, even with a toddler. And your child will enjoy great head and back support from newborn on.
The only real downside is that it’s not that suitable if live in very hot climates. This could result in quite a bit of sweating for both parent and child. Despite that this is still at the top of our list of best baby carriers.
- 100 percent organic cotton provides comfort
- Can adapted for 6 different positions on front or back
- Suitable for new-born babies without any inserts
- Machine washable for easy cleaning
- Great support for baby and parent
- It’s a bit hot to wear in summer
- Pocket could be a bit more convenient
What Features To Look Out For
To avoid getting lost in a lot of the marketing spin you should focus on a few features that will be important to you. That way you end up with a comparison that truly shows what is most suitable for you. Here are some of those features that important to most parents.
The most basic products you can get will only be suitable on front or back. And then might only support rear-facing and not front facing. If you plan to be using your carrier from newborn to toddler, then you are probably better off looking at a model that can go front and back. It will give you much more flexibility, and you don’t have to worry about getting a new one in a few months’ time.
For a lot of parents, style will be something they consider. You might have an overall color theme for your baby gear that you want to match up with. As both parents are likely to be using it you might want to find a style of best baby carrier for dad and mom. The good news is that the above list contains many such products.
This is very important. If you live in particularly cold climates then you need some extra warmth and padding. At the same time, hot climates will require lighter mesh type materials to provide plenty of air circulation. Some products can be adapted for all 4 seasons, but you need to prepare to spend quite a bit more.
First thing to consider here is whether you need to use your choice from newborn or older. Not all products are suitable for very small babies, so make sure that you pick the right one. If you plan to be using it for a couple of years, then you also have to look at the maximum weight restriction. A lot of them will go up to 45 pounds, but don’t assume they all do.
This concludes the best baby carrier reviews and you should now have all the information you need to make a fully educated buying decision. With all the above choices, you will not end up with buyer’s regret. And with all price ranges covered you’ll be able to find something that perfectly suits your budget.