For some materials, a power tool is absolutely essential. You don’t want to try and cut through stone or steel using just brute force. Not only is it totally inefficient. The results will be very inaccurate.
When it comes to cutting straight lines in any material, a circular saw is that absolute go to product. You will be able to glide through tough materials with total ease. But the results can vary significantly if you don’t opt for the right machine for the job.
If you do just a little bit of DIY cabinet making at home, then a small battery powered model will work just fine. But bigger jobs or a professional construction site will require completely different features and specifications.
This guide was put together to help you avoid spending too much or buying something that will fall apart in a matter of months. We have spent weeks researching the most popular products and have narrowed things down to these ten.
This list of best circular saw choices will give you something for all types of budgets. Keep reading and pick out one that suits you best.
Our Top 10 Best Circular Saw Recommendations
| #1 - Hitachi C7ST 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch || Ergonomically Soft grip||5.0 stars out of 5|
| #2 - Black & Decker BDCCS20B 20-Volt || Small and Compact||4.5 stars out of 5|
| #3 - PORTER-CABLE PC15TCS 15 Amp || Very Affordably Priced||4.0 stars out of 5|
Table of Contents
- Our Top 10 Best Circular Saw Recommendations
- 1. Hitachi C7ST 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch
- 2. Black & Decker BDCCS20B 20-Volt
- 3. PORTER-CABLE PC15TCS 15 Amp
- 4. SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch
- 5. Festool TS 75 EQ Plunge Cut
- 6. SKIL 5280-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch
- 7. Evolution DISCCUT1 12-Inch Disc Cutter
- 8. Makita XSR01PT 18V X2 LXT
- 9. DEWALT DWE575SB 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Circular Saw
- 10. Makita 5402NA 16-5/16-Inch
- What Features You Need To Focus On
- Blade Size
- Corded Vs Cordless
- Motor Power
A lot of people just don’t like the limitations of a corded saw. If you’re working in small workshops, then that’s not a huge problem. But cables do get in the way a lot. That’s where you want to look for the best battery circular saw for small jobs, and this Hitachi is just that.
At under 10 pounds it is light enough to move around and hold at different angles without getting tired. But that doesn’t mean you get limited power. The 15 Amp motor will spin up the 7 1/4 inch blade up to 6000 RPM which means you’ll cut through all types of wood with ease.
If you’re not used to using powerful tools that create a lot of vibration then the grip on this will suit you perfectly. It’s ergonomically designed with soft rubber so that you don’t feel the full vibration.
There is a front blower that helps you see where you are cutting, which is a helpful feature. But this can also cause quite a lot of mess.
- Dust blower built in so you always see where you’re cutting
- 15 Amp motor will power the blade up to 6000 RPM making all jobs fast
- Ergonomically soft grip to reduce vibration
- Weighs less than 10 pounds making it easy to handle
- Cutting depth adjustment is quick and easy
- Front blower can cause a lot of mess
- Angle and depth levers are difficult to release
With a 5 ½ inch blade this Black & Decker product is bar far the best small circular saw. You don’t always want to have a big blade. On a lot of jobs that will cause more problems than it solves. And when you need a small machine then this is the one we recommend the most.
Despite being small and very affordably priced you will get quite a few features. The cutting angle can be easily adjusted and the same goes for the depth. That allows you to make extremely precise cuts which can be most valuable when making wood furniture.
It is battery powered and if you have a backup battery you’ll be able to keep going for almost a hole day. The one thing to be aware of though is that the battery is not included. Make sure you add one to your basket when you order it.
- Small and compact with 5 ½ inch blade
- Very easy to adjust cutting depth without the need for tools
- Easily adjustable cutting angle
- Battery powered to make it easier to reach places without a cable
- With a backup battery, you can work for hours at a time
- No sawdust collection
- No sawdust collection
If you need something compact for small jobs or tough to reach places then this Porter Cable model is exactly what you need. It is by far the best compact circular saw on the market today. And despite its size it won’t let you down when it comes to performance.
With a powerful 15 Amp motor, it will stand up to heavy usage and tough materials. It will cut through all types of timber with ease, making all jobs a breeze.
When you are on a big job you’ll need to change blades quite often. And with this product it can be done in a matter of seconds. That means it reduces the amount of downtime you have. If you’re on a tight schedule that makes a big difference.
For a heavy-duty product, it will stand up to the demands of professionals. And you get that at a very affordable price. The only downside is that there is no laser guide included, which would be a nice extra touch.
- Heavy duty 15 Amp motor to work on tough jobs
- Ability to angle the cutting edge at 45 degrees
- Very easy to change out the blades
- Good weight at just under 12 pounds
- Very affordably priced and suitable for professional jobs
- Included blade is not the best quality
- No laser guide included
Weight can often be an issue when you are trying to make precision cuts. If you have some mobility limitations or just want to have less fatigue on longer jobs then you need to invest in this best lightweight circular saw that you can find. And that is exactly what you get with this Skilsaw thanks to its Magnesium construction.
At 11.6 pounds, it still packs a powerful enough 15 Amp motor. This makes sure that you don’t sacrifice any cutting ability for lighter weight. The motor is also designed very cleverly to reduce the amount of heat it produces. That makes it more comfortable to use and makes it last a lot longer as well.
The lower guard provides great protection against snags. At the same time it won’t cause any issues when trying to get your job done.
- 6 lbs weight makes it very easy to handle and carry
- Easily adjusted for up to 45 degree cutting angle
- Cooler running temperature means the motor lasts a lot longer
- 15 Amp motor will make butter out of tough timber
- Lower guard protects against snags and makes it safer to use
- Cord is a bit short so you need extension lead
Another high end professional product for exceptional straight results is this Festool one. It is not cheap, but if you like seeing extremely precise results then using this with the included guide rail will give you the results of an experienced carpenter.
You can easily adjust the speed which is ideal if you want to take your time and be even more precise. The RPM be increased from 1350 to 3550 giving you a lot of room to adjust.
You’ll also be getting a cutting depth of just under 3 inches, or 2 ¾ inches with the guide rail. For the majority of DIY and even smaller professional jobs this will stand up to the task easily.
The motor includes a very handy slip clutch system. This essentially reduces the effects of kickbacks which can be annoying at least and sometimes quite painful. The only main downside is that it’s not durable enough for heavy usage on a busy construction site.
- 75-inch guide rail included for the most precise cuts
- Effects of Kickback are reduced by the slip clutch
- Fast and easy blade replacements means you can quickly switch for different materials
- Speed can be adjusted from 1350 to 3550 RPM for more flexibility and precision
- Just under 3-inch cut depth
- Quite expensive for home use
- Not durable enough for heavy use on construction sites
If you have limited use for a circular cutter then you don’t want to spend much. At the same time, you don’t want something that isn’t safe or will just fall apart after the first couple of uses. This Skil model is by far the best cheap circular saw. If you have a very limited budget then don’t look any further.
You’ll still get a 15 Amp motor that is powerful enough for some tough materials. Combine it with some good quality blades and you’ll be able to work through a lot of cutting jobs. And because it is quite light weight you’ll be able to easily handle it for small jobs in tough to reach places.
There is a laser guide included, but it’s a bit hit and miss. You won’t want to rely on it for very precise jobs. If you’re new to using such a tool then it’s handy to use.
- Easily adjustable to cut at precise angles
- Handy carrying bag included for storage and transport
- Less than 10 pound weight makes it easy to handle
- 15 Amp motor will give you plenty of power for tough materials
- Excellent value for money and ideal for home DIY uses
- Laser sight is not really worth using
- No dust collector included
For heavy duty masonry type work you won’t find much better value than this Evolution product. It is powerful and with the included 12-inch blade you won’t be long cutting through concrete, stone and brick work.
It will provide up to a 4-inch cutting depth which is ideal for the majority of masonry type work. It certainly beats working with a 7 inch device. What is great is that it can be easily used to cut vertically and horizontally. That means you can quickly adapt to different jobs without having to find another tool.
One downside to mention is that some of the screws have a tendency to come a bit loose. Especially after longer periods of use. Just make sure you check the screws regularly to avoid any falling off. Overall this is exceptionally good value for money.
- Ideal for cutting stone concrete and paving brick
- 12-inch diamond blade included
- 4 inch cutting depth is good for most jobs
- 15 Amp motor provides enough power for the toughest materials
- Ideal for using horizontally and vertically
- Blade screws tend to come loose a bit
- No depth gauge included
If you have jobs in places where there is no power supply then you need one of the best cordless circular saw options available. Makita again comes up with an option that is very powerful and versatile in its use. This kit includes a carrying bad and two batteries.
The charging unit is powerful enough to handle both batteries. But the only downside is that you have to connect both to the cutter to be able to use it. You cannot have one charging while the other is in use.
With an electric safety brake, it will practically stop immediately when you release the trigger. This also makes it a lot more suitable for high precision work. The 5100 RPM speed will also adjust automatically, as does the torque. This helps to deal with different materials without wasting too much energy.
- Great kit with batteries and carrying bag
- Two batteries included with charging station
- Motor automatically adjusts speed and torque to the materials
- Electric brake for added safety
- 5100 RPM will provide huge performance with less power usage
- Weighing 12 pounds it can be difficult to handle
- Both batteries have to be connected at same time
If you are looking for a small and lightweight product then this Dewalt one will do perfectly well. It certainly is one of the best value circular saw options on this list. When you see the price, you’ll be surprised that it’s from a top brand name.
The powerful 15 Amp motor will send the 7 ¼ inch blade spinning at 5200 RPM which will make even bigger jobs a breeze to get through. Whether you’re cutting stone, concrete or wood, all you need to do is switch out the blade. The process is easy and quick which it flexible for pretty much any DIY job.
For added safety there is an electric brake that stops the blade as soon as the trigger is released. This means that even if you drop it, there is very little risk of serious injury or damage.
At this price range, you won’t get extreme accuracy, which is a bit of a downside. But it’s still great value for money.
- Very easy to set up and use
- At just under 9 pounds it is ideal for jobs where you need to move around a lot
- 15 Amp motor gives good power for up to 5200 RPM
- Electric brake engages after trigger is released for added safety
- Easily changeable blade to cut different materials
- Not the most accurate and straight cut
- Light weight takes some getting used to
Made by one of the leading companies in the power tool industry, this cutter will see you through all types of jobs. If you need to cut through industrial strength timber then then you need the best corded circular saw money can buy. This does come with a pretty hefty price tag. But you won’t regret spending it.
The powerful 15 Amp electric motor will give you 2200 RPM. That means you can get through pressure treated timber products with relative ease. It certainly beats relying on small handheld devices. And the only option after this is an industrial type machine.
At 32 pounds, it is possible to move it by yourself, but with a bit of planning it’s always best to set it up in one place to avoid damage or injury when moving it.
It also includes a blade stabilization that gives you even more precision for long and straight cuts. This is particularly important in many construction jobs.
The only downside is that the safety switch is not that easily accessed. It could have been positioned more conveniently.
- Professional grade product with powerful 15 Amp motor
- 2200 RPM will easily cut though pressure treated wood
- Weight of 32 pounds means it can be easily moved by one person
- Blade stabilization gives even higher precision cuts
- Relatively low noise level
- Safety switch is awkwardly placed
- Might be too big for some people
What Features You Need To Focus On
When you look at reviews for the best rated circular saw options then you can quickly become confused with the marketing language from different companies. To help with that all the reviews on this page make reference to features in a way so that you know exactly how they compare. For your own benefit, here are some of the features you should look out for before you make a decision.
A lot of amateur DIYers always think that the best circular saw will be the one with the biggest blade. Truth is that you should always look at a machine for the job at hand. 12 inch blades are great for cutting through thick and heavy duty timber. But they won’t give you the same level of precision when cutting through thin plywood.
A safe option is to go with a 7 ¼ inch blade as it will cover the majority of jobs. Only pick something smaller or bigger if you know for sure that you’ll need it.
Corded Vs Cordless
A cordless saw will keep going all day, and on many worksites that is exactly what you need. But sometimes you have to get to places where a power cord is difficult to get to. Your only option then is to use a battery powered one.
Generally speaking, you will have an easier job with a corded product, especially if you only use it occasionally. Keeping batteries charged can be a pain, compared to just plugging it into a power socket. Only go for a battery option if you know you need the flexibility it gives you.
In all the above best circular saw reviews, you will see that we chose to include products with 15 Amp motors. Those will give enough power to cut through tough timber with relative ease. One thing to keep in mind though is that the quality of the blade is as important as the power of the motor.
If you have cheap blade, then even a high-end motor will not help you get the job done quicker. The motor design is also important. Some of the cheaper ones will quickly overheat and burn out if used on a construction site. So don’t expect to get years’ worth of work out of them.
This is very important for many users. If you are doing the odd small job at home, a small and light product will work excellently. The heavier the product the more skill and strength it takes to get the best results. At the same time, when it comes to cutting through tough and hardened timber you will need a tougher motor and blade. These add weight and will make it more difficult to move.
Unless you are going to be using the saw for large construction type jobs, going for a product at about 12 pounds in weight will be the best option. It’ll give you the results you need without needing a second person to move it or change cutting angles.
All the above circular saw reviews are fantastic options for different jobs. You will find something to suit your needs and budget without having to sacrifice on functionality. From small DIY garage workshop to a busy carpentry shop, there is an option there for you. Pick the one that suits you best and enjoy making your jobs easier.