The movie series Back To The Future gave dreams to an entire generation of young people. Scenes of skateboards without wheels hovering above the ground seemed like the ultimate gadget to own. According to the movies, it was going to be available in 2015.
Unfortunately, the movies were not exactly right. But there have been a few steps in the right direction. And some cool new scooters have now taken the place of being called hover boards.
While the first ones had very limited functionality, features, speed and range, you can now get some very innovative products. People have taken to using them for walking dogs, fun days in the park and even commuting.
But with all the available options out there you can quickly end up with something that is too advanced or basic. And worse yet, there are some that don’t pass basic electronic motor and battery certifications.
In the below list of best hover board reviews, you will find the best options to choose from today. They are all certified and can bring you a load of fun and save you a load of time at the same time.
Keep reading to find a model that best suits your needs.
Table of Contents
- Our Top 10 Best Hoverboard Recommendations
- 1 – LEVIT8ION Ultra 7.5″ Hoverboard
- 2 – Official Halo Rover Hoverboard
- 3 – Razor Hovertrax 2.0
- 4 – Spadger Self Balancing Scooter
- 5 – Hoverboard Two-Wheel Self Balancing Electric Scooter
- 6 – Skque X1/I Series
- 7 – VEEKO LH-C 6.5”
- 8 – MegaWheels Bluetooth Self Balance Scooter
- 9 – EPIKGO SPORT Balance Board
- 10 – TOMOLOO Self-Balancing Scooter
- What Features To Focus On
- Wheel Size
- Battery Range
- Weight Limit
- Ground Suitability
Our Top 10 Best Hoverboard Recommendations
1 – LEVIT8ION Ultra 7.5″ Hoverboard
The final product on our list of best smart balance board options is this Levit8ion one. It looks pretty cool and is available in 5 different color configurations to suit your personal taste. Anyone for hot red?
The most outstanding feature is the fact that you can switch out the battery pack. With each battery having about a 13-mile range you can practically cover the distance of a marathon on a hover board. Sounds a lot less tiring and much more fun!
Many young people will love the fact that there are speakers built-in that you can hook up to your phone over Bluetooth. That way you can stream your music anywhere you go.
One downside to consider is that it isn’t designed to handle uneven surfaces very well. If you are heading out on sand, gravel or grass, then this one will probably struggle quite a bit.
Given the reasonable price tag, that is a small price to pay. And if you live in an urban environment then it really shouldn’t be much of an issue.
- Removable battery so you can bring a spare one for longer ranges
- Great 13-mile range
- LCD display showing speed
- Integrated Bluetooth speakers to listen to music
- Great value for money
- Not best suited for uneven surfaces
- Max speed safety causes drastic slowing down
2 – Official Halo Rover Hoverboard
One of the best hoverboard options for heavy-duty use on tough terrain is this Halo one. Just looking at the tires will show you how much grip this product will have. They are big. They have deep tread. And they won’t puncture easily at all.
You will easily reach speeds up to 10 mph on level ground, which means you’ll get places a lot quicker. Almost 4 times as fast as walking. And with a 10 mile range you won’t run out of battery too soon for most of your daily tasks.
Even if you have some steep inclines of 20 degrees, the motors will keep you going. Just remember that the heavier you are and the steeper the hill the shorter the batter time will be.
The only main downside to this device is its weight. If you’re going to use it to commute then be prepared to lift quite bit, which can be tough with stairs.
- Great all terrain design with tough wheels
- Bluetooth enabled for streaming music and modifying settings with app
- 3 different modes to help you get used to the ride
- 5-inch tires are ideal for uneven surfaces, grass and sand
- Can easily climb 20 degree inclines
- Speed up to 10 mph and 10-mile range
- Quite a heavy device to lift
- Charging time can be a bit long
3 – Razor Hovertrax 2.0
The Razor Hovertrax is a great product by a company that has been making some really innovative products. This almost silent hoverboard will give you speeds up to 8 mph, which is perfect for kids and beginners. For most urban uses that is probably as fast as you can go.
If you are a beginner or your kids are learning to ride it, then there is a cool feature with a training mode. This limits the speed and acceleration to make it easier to balance.
LED lights can be quickly turned on and they are there for more than just the coolness effect. If you are heading out at night then they will provide a lot of safety. Whether you are heading out to walk the dog or going to work, the 1-hour battery life will be decent enough for most people. But if you intend to go for longer distances then you’ll probably have to invest a bit more.
- Max speed over 8 mph is good enough for most uses
- Maximum weight capacity of 220 lbs
- LED lights can be turned on for safety in the dark
- Battery level is indicated
- Training mode setting helps newbies
- Battery will last only 1 hour
- Not ideal for uneven surfaces
4 – Spadger Self Balancing Scooter
Another great entry-level product is this Spagder one. It has all the safety certifications for the motor and battery. And for such a reasonable price it has a great maximum capacity of 265 pounds. If you are above average weight and on a budget, then this is probably the best option.
The powerful motors can help get you up inclines up to 20 degrees. This will drain the battery more though, and this model doesn’t have the longest range to start with. But if you generally have flat areas around you then that won’t be any major concern.
The charging time is also quite fast at about 2 hours when fully drained. This is especially helpful if kids are going to be using it a lot. They can be a bit impatient and waiting 2 hours to have another go is not going to be too bad.
Kids and teenagers will also love the built-in speakers, which can be used to hook up to a phone to play music wirelessly. Overall, a great buy but possibly a bit slow for some advanced riders.
- Fast charging time of 2 hours
- Great weight capacity of 264 lbs
- Will be able to handle inclines of up to 20 degrees
- Built-in speakers can be used to listen to music from your phone
- LED lights can be turned on in the dark
- Max speed of 7 mph might be a bit slow
- Range could be a little better
5 – Hoverboard Two-Wheel Self Balancing Electric Scooter
Another company that is coming out with some really stylish designs is Hoverheart. This model is available in a load of colors and even the built-in LEDs have different colors. That means you can set new trends among your friends and really stand out from others.
At a reasonable price, you even get Bluetooth speakers included. This allows you to stream your music from your phone. For a lot of young people that will be a deciding factor.
The platform height is 10 inches. That is OK for most people even beginners. It also gives you an advantage when riding in busy places, as you’ll be able to see what’s ahead even with people all around you.
The LED lights are also a good safety feature that makes riding at night a lot safer. Not only can you better see where you’re going, but others can see you coming as well.
There is a speed limit of 8 mph, which is more than twice the speed of the average person walking. You can essentially expect to get to places twice as fast, and that might be enough to save you having to get on crowded public transport.
- Really cool design gives it a striking look
- Bluetooth speakers allow you to stream music
- LED lights give a great look and help to see when it’s dark
- 10 inches of ground clearance is great for uneven terrain
- Speed limit of 8 mph is good for newbies
- Weight limit is a bit low at just over 200 lbs
- Some might find it a bit slow
6 – Skque X1/I Series
This Skque product is possibly one of the coolest looking ones. It is also available in a load of different colors and configurations. You have the option of including Bluetooth speakers, which is a nice touch. Not everyone wants to listen to music while hover boarding.
It also has one of the strongest designs and can cope with weights of 265 pounds. That will cover even a heavyweight boxer. Obviously the heavier you are the shorter the range will be. But you can expect up to 13 miles on one charge and level ground.
The LED lights are a great touch and make it a lot safer to use at nighttime. The ride height is also good and will help on uneven ground. But for some beginners that extra height might be difficult to get used to.
- Available in a great color range for all preferences
- Wireless speakers allow you to stream music from your phone
- LED lights make it safe to use at night time
- Strong chassis allows for weights up to 265 lbs
- Range of 13 miles on level ground
- Relatively slow at 7 mph
- Ride height might too high for some people
7 – VEEKO LH-C 6.5”
This Veeko model is probably the best hover board for the money. If you are on a limited budget and don’t need the fastest and longest range then you should seriously consider it. Especially if you are new to hover boarding or have kids that want to learn.
The speed limit is 6 mph, but that buys you a battery life up to 4 hours. If you live in a city and use this to commute then you probably won’t have to plug it in once you get to work. You probably wouldn’t be able to go much faster anyway, and it’s still faster than walking.
The maximum weight capacity is 225 pounds which is more than enough for the average person. Keep in mind that the heavier you are the less the battery will last. So, don’t be disappointed if you don’t get right up to the 4 hour mark.
Also, the LED lights that are built-in are great for night time use, but will also have an additional drain on the battery.
- Cruising speed of 6 mph is good for device in this price range
- Great battery life up to 4 hours depending on weight and ground type
- Great tires will easily go over grass and sand
- LED lights help to see at night time
- Maximum weight capacity is 225 lbs
- Probably a bit slow for some people
- Speed alarm can get a little bit annoying
8 – MegaWheels Bluetooth Self Balance Scooter
This MegaWheels product has some very cool innovative features and comes at a very affordable price. There are wireless speakers built in so that you can hook your phone and stream music. This is a cool feature if you are out with some friends having fun. Just keep in mind that using the speakers will reduce the maximum range.
For beginners, this is a great option with a maximum speed of 8 mph. If you are advanced or generally in a rush, then this might not be the best option for you. What is great about this hoverboard is that it will be able to handle inclines up to 25 degrees. That is the highest of any product on this list.
Each charge will get you about 10 miles which can cover a lot of commutes. Once fully drained, the battery will take about 3 hours to fully charge. That should be more than enough if you use it to get to work.
It’s ideal for even surfaces, but might struggle a bit on uneven ground as there is only a 4-inch ground clearance.
- Built-in Bluetooth speakers allow streaming of music form your phone
- Climbing ability up to 25 degrees due to dual motors
- Range of about 10 miles on even ground
- Maximum speed of up to 8 mph is good for kids
- Charging time of 3 hours is reasonably fast
- Some might find it’s a bit slow
- Ground clearance of 4 inches can be a bit low
9 – EPIKGO SPORT Balance Board
Another one of our favorite hover scooters is this Epikgo one. It certainly looks the part and with 8.5-inch tires you will be able to cope with all types of terrain. Whether that is gravel, sand or grass, you won’t struggle too much with this amazing ride.
What really stands out with this model is its exceptionally good water resistance (IP56). That means it can cope with heavy rain and pretty much any type of puddle you encounter.
It will not give you as high a speed as the Tomloo one above, which is a shame. But the powerful 400 Watt dual motor will give you a range of 10 miles on each charge. It is also relatively light for a hover board of this size, thanks to the use of aluminum in some components.
Another downside to be aware of is that the maximum weight capacity is under 200 pounds. For most people that will not be much of a problem, but you’re better off with a different model if you are close to or over that weight.
- 400W dual motor to help you climb 18 degree inclines
- IP56 water resistant will withstand heavy rain
- Great all terrain wheels won’t lose grip on different surfaces including grass and sand
- 10 mile range on even ground giving up to an hour of use
- Light weight alloy wheels
- Weight limit is under 200 lbs
- Not the highest speed
10 – TOMOLOO Self-Balancing Scooter
Tomloo was one of the first and definitely leading maker of hover boards. They have products in all shapes and sizes, and there is one for every budget as well. This model here is one of their flagship products and for all the right reasons.
The 8-inch tires have excellent tread to make sure they don’t easily slip and always keep traction. And when you combine those large wheels with the powerful dual motor you’ll be able to get up to 10.6 mph. That makes it one of the fastest options on this list.
Despite that speed, you will be able to get about a 9 mile range out of one charge. That is assuming a level ground and average weight loaded on it. But the motor is also powerful enough to climb up a 20 degree include if needed. For many people that makes it a great way to get to and from work.
In our opinion, it’s the best self balancing board you can possibly buy.
- 8-inch tires with great grip to avoid slipping
- Bluetooth speakers allow you to stream music from your phone
- 6 mph speed with maximum flat level distance of 9 miles
- Very robust design with maximum capacity of 265 lbs
- Can cover 20 degree inclines with relative ease
- Water resistance is good but could be better for longer exposure to rain
- Charge time can be quite long
What Features To Focus On
When you are trying to compare products from different companies it can quickly become confusing. Lots of companies decide to use their own marketing language to describe certain features. That makes it very difficult to really see what the differences are.
But if you focus on the following features and then ignore the different marketing stuff, you’ll make a much better educated decision.
You can’t really say that the best smart balance board has to have a certain wheel size. On the one hand, larger wheels will give you better traction and ground clearance. And that will help on uneven ground. But, this added height is not that easy to get used to. So, if you’re a beginner then smaller wheels will be a lot more convenient. Also, in urban areas, large wheels are completely unnecessary.
This is quite important and very much a feature that should be quite significant if you’re looking for the best self balancing board. The further the range the longer you’ll be able to go between charges. If you have kids then they’ll want to spend hours on one of these. And if you plan to use it for your daily commute, then having enough battery power to get there and back will be vital.
Before you make any decision, always check the weight limits. If you are heavier than average, then you will need to make sure that the board you buy is sturdy enough to carry your weight. Never exceed this limit restriction, you’ll quickly regret it.
If you live in a city and don’t plan to take your scooter to the park or on grass, then you don’t need something with specialty wheels and high ground clearance. But a lot of people will head onto grass and even sand or gravel. In that case, you’ll need to invest in a model that has some tough tires with good tread depth that will give you loads of traction on all types of ground.
If you have read this far then you now have a full view of all the best hoverboard reviews. All the above products are certified and will bring a huge amount of fun to you and your family. Yes, they don’t really hover, but you will certainly feel like you are hovering.
Just decide on your budget and figure out whether you want a beginner or advanced option and you’ll be pretty much good to go. It’s one of those investments you won’t regret.